5 things to look for during Gov. Snyder's State of the State address

<p>Michigan Governor Rick Snyder addresses the audience Jan. 20, 2015, during the State of the State Address at the Capitol in Lansing, Michigan. Emily Nagle/The State News</p>

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder addresses the audience Jan. 20, 2015, during the State of the State Address at the Capitol in Lansing, Michigan. Emily Nagle/The State News

Photo by Emily Nagle | The State News

Gov. Rick Snyder will deliver his annual State of the State address to representatives of the state legislature as well as many Michigan residents at home. This year highly volatile issues will supplement the usual pressing concerns of state politics. Here are five issues Snyder might address. 

1. As a result of the Flint Water crisis, Snyder might give details on how state response has benefited the Flint area and how future plans will continue to rectify the mistake.

Recent events in Flint have given this state the definition of negative press. After a cost cutting strategy to move the Flint area drinking water source to the Flint River rather than the Great Lakes system, corrosive elements were found in the water, resulting in the poisoning of several citizens. Thus, expect Snyder to address everything his office plans to do and has done to aid those affected by the contaminated water. 

2. Snyder will address higher education affordability.

A hot-button issue in the presidential primaries, especially candidate debates, seems to be the accessibility of higher education and the president devoted a portion of his State of the Union speech to the topic. In the state of Michigan, a trend of rising tuition costs, coupled with lower state appropriations per student, has been recognized by the Michigan House Fiscal Agency. Expect the governor to lay out his vision to make college affordable. 

3. Public school funding might be addressed, especially in the Detroit area.

Continuing on the topic of education, the governor will most likely mention his plans for public education. He might boast his $1 billion increase in K-12 education more than a year ago as well as address sustainable education in Detroit.  

4. Much like last year's State of the State speech, the governor might reference the economy and job creation for students coming out of college, specifically in a revitalized Detroit.

As he usually does, the governor will likely talk a great deal about the “reinvention” of Michigan’s economy, specifically in regards to students entering the workforce. On his website, Snyder said preparing students to transition out of school and into the growing economy is vital to the state. According to the website, "Michigan’s future is absolutely dependent on making our education system a success for our students, our teachers, our parents and our economy." 

5. Recent criticisms directed on his tough position against immigration and refugees will be referenced and countered.

Before Flint water, there was the uproar against the governor’s halt of Syrian refugees into the state of Michigan. Snyder stopped the influx of Syrian refugees as a security measure against terrorism.  

These are the expectations for the governor’s speech tonight. Be sure to tune in, catch the speech and read an analysis of it tonight at statenews.com following the address.  

Share and discuss “5 things to look for during Gov. Snyder's State of the State address ” on social media.