Letter: Big Ten Championship ticket sales were botched for loyal students

I speak for many students at MSU when I say this. Last night’s “ticket glitch” to the Big Ten Championship game was a "slap to the face" for loyal student fans here at Michigan State. 

After MSU beat Penn State and after Coach Dantonio gave his “Reach Higher” speech (which I was there for) a graphic displayed on the Jumbo-tron at Spartan Stadium saying tickets for the Big 10 Championship Game against Iowa next Saturday will go on sale at 9PM tonight. However, when I logged into the site (as I was told) with my credit card and student ID ready (as I was told) at 9PM (AS I WAS TOLD)..tickets were already sold out.

Why?

Because tickets actually went on sale as early as reported on twitter by some students - 7:30PM.

7:30PM hardly even gives enough time for the loyal student fan base to get home and log onto their computers. The same one’s that didn’t skip out on the last game and the same one's that cheered on our Spartan Senior’s at their last game at Spartan Stadium. Very likely the same one’s who have gone, or will go, to each and every home game during their four years at this University.

This isn’t the only error in the system for getting tickets to some of the biggest games in Michigan State history. Similar stories happened for the Final Four of last year as well general admission tickets our loyal alumni fan base.

Fans who have had tickets for decades (including my family) will not be able to get tickets to the game Saturday either.

Why?

Because tickets don’t go by the years you’ve gone to the games - it goes by the money.

The same fans who were in the stands this past Saturday to witness the start of potentially the greatest season in Spartan Football History and who also sat through a 42-14 LOSS to Penn State in 2009..won’t be able to see a snap of post season first-hand.

There is a lot of things Michigan State Athletics does right. They make it clear they care about students attending and staying at the games. The seating is fair, the pricing is fair, the game’s are fair. 

We thank you for that. But now we’ve sat through it all, we’ve witnessed the becoming of a mediocre Spartan football team become a good Spartan football team to a GREAT Spartan football team.

Let us be a part of the celebration.

Luke Malburg is a senior studying supply chain management.

Share and discuss “Letter: Big Ten Championship ticket sales were botched for loyal students ” on social media.