Art for Charlie Art Show and Auction tonight

<p>Art for Charlie Art Show and Auction flyer, courtesy.&nbsp;</p>

Art for Charlie Art Show and Auction flyer, courtesy. 

The 5th Annual “Art for Charlie” Art Show and Auction which aims to raise money for families dealing with the death or terminal illness of a child will be held at the East Lansing Marriott tonight.

The show — and the Art for Charlie Foundation holding it — are both named for Charlie Waller, who was diagnosed with brain stem cancer at age 3, later dying at age 5. After losing their son, the Wallers founded Art for Charlie to help promote hospice and palliative care for children. Abigail Waller, Charlie’s mother, currently serves as President.

“Children do die: in 2013, 42,328 of those between the ages of 1 and 19 passed away and 1,399 in Michigan alone,” Dr. John Waller, Charlie’s father and a professor at MSU, said in a statement. “At present, however, far too few seriously ill and dying children in Michigan are able to receive the specialized care they need.”

According to their website, the Art for Charlie Foundation believes that art “affirms life and beauty and brings joy”. Through art donations, the Foundation raises funds to make sure any children in need of hospice care can pass away in comfort and with dignity.

“It’s a gloomy subject, no one wants to think about children needing hospice... but there are children that need it,” Tali Hylen, Director of PR for Art for Charlie said. “The art surrounding it makes it a little brighter, and provides a little beauty surrounding, because it’s not a beautiful thing to think about.”

The show and auction will be held in the mezzanine room at East Lansing Marriott on University Plaza, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. A ‘meet the artists’ reception will be held beforehand, from 5:30 to 7 p.m.

“The Art for Charlie Foundation began with the terminal diagnosis of one boy and the donation of a single piece of artwork from six thousand miles away,” Waller said in his statement. “It is now taking a lead role in bringing better care to our state’s children. Please support their mission. Bid on the items here tonight, consider donating, and please, please get involved.”

Share and discuss “Art for Charlie Art Show and Auction tonight ” on social media.