On-campus options for watching an away game

<p>Then-Law graduate student Scott Chu, left, and then- alumnus Pamela Wall, right, shout during the Michigan v. Kansas basketball game on Friday, March. 29, 2013, at Crunchy's, at 254 W Grand River Ave,. The friends were hoping for a Michigan win for the chance of seeing a Michigan-Michigan State game. Danyelle Morrow/The State</p>

Then-Law graduate student Scott Chu, left, and then- alumnus Pamela Wall, right, shout during the Michigan v. Kansas basketball game on Friday, March. 29, 2013, at Crunchy's, at 254 W Grand River Ave,. The friends were hoping for a Michigan win for the chance of seeing a Michigan-Michigan State game. Danyelle Morrow/The State

For the next two weekends, East Lansing will be significantly quieter with the football team playing away games at Rutgers and University of Michigan. 

But many students still want to cheer on their team and have a good time with friends like they would if they were to go to a game at Spartan Stadium. 

Most local restaurants and sports bars play the game for its patrons and offer special deals on game days. 

The State News compiled a list of bars which will be showing the game and having deals this Saturday. 

Crunchy’s

A small but special place to East Lansing, Crunchy’s even offers a Saturday special of a bucket of beer and two buckets of food for 35 dollars. And according to Yahoo, it's one of the best places to get a college burger.

Field House

Newly named and can pack in about 300 people, Field House can offer a special on some of their signature martinis.

Buffalo Wild Wings

A classic place for sports lovers to get some wings and beer. With the many TVs around the place, Buffalo Wild Wings is guaranteed to be packed.

Harper’s Restaurant and Brew Pub

Harper’s Restaurant and Brew Pub boasts about being the “Best of MSU.” Their restaurant able is to hold up to 450 people, so you’ll definitely have someone to cheer on the Spartans with.

While going out to watch the game is fun, some students find it easier to watch from the comfort of their own home or residence hall. 

For advertising Sophomore Sydney Oprita, staying home to watch the game is easier and more comfortable. 

Advertising junior Oscar Mansky said he usually does the same. He said he usually chooses to go to friend’s houses to watch the game.

“I’ve been to a bar a few times, it’s fun and it gets rowdy, but I like a friend’s house better,” Mansky said. “It’s less expensive and you know more people.”

Typically, a bag of tortilla chips is $2.99 and a six-pack of Budweiser is about six dollars. Add in a large pizza from Pizza House at $21.95, and the cost of having friends over for the game can still be cheaper than going to a bar.

Kinesiology junior Ashley Summerton said she usually watches from her apartment because it’s easier for her and her friends.

“We have some people over, make some food and watch the game,” Summerton said. “I’m underage so it’s hard to go out.”

MSU Live On also sponsors away-game tailgates in different locations. Each has its own theme such as "Crush the Corn" for the Nebraska game and an 80s throwback for the Ohio State University game. 

The event begins an hour before kick off and students are allowed to bring guests. However, students must show their MSU ID to enter for prizes. 

Share and discuss “On-campus options for watching an away game” on social media.