Update: Uncle John's Cider Mill resumes sales

Fifth generation farmer Mike Beck, president of Uncle John's Cider Mill, stands in the Fruit House Winery while working on Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012. The mill, located at 8614 N. US Highway 127 in St. Johns, Mich., has been in the Beck family for more than a century. Samantha Radecki/The State News

Update: Wednesday, 11:30 a.m. 

According to a post from the company's Facebook page, lab tests of the cider called into question came back negative for E. coli. 

After a batch of cider made by local Uncle John's Cider Mill tested positive for E. coli, the cider was deemed unsafe and cider sales were halted.

The post made to the company's Facebook page read: "Regarding the test results, all of our cider produced between October 22 and yesterday October 27 has been lab tested, and all results for e.coli (sic) have come back negative. Cider Sales will resume today."

After a "random, routine" sampling by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, it has been discovered that as much as 1,200 gallons of cider from Uncle John's Cider Mill might be contaminated with Shiga-toxin producing E. coli bacteria.

The cider mill, a popular spot this time of year for MSU students, is located at 8614 U.S. 127 in St. Johns, about 30 miles from campus.

Microbiology freshman Julia Swoish said her sorority, Delta Gamma, had to cancel a sisterhood event at the mill on Tuesday night because of the contamination.

“It is pretty popular," Swoish said. "I am a freshman and not a lot of us have transportation, but I have talked to a lot of students that have gone. My parents also took me there to get cider and doughnuts earlier this year.”

English senior Dylan Kert agreed with Swoish on the popularity of the mill and added that it may concern a number of students.

“This would of course be a concern to a lot of students," Kert said. "I imagine around this time of the year it is pretty popular and if it’s contaminated it probably could impact a lot of students."

The cider in question was produced on Oct. 17 and sold to consumers from Oct. 18 to the 21 in the form of cold cider, slushies and hot cider as well as in retail coolers and packaged jugs with the sell date of Oct. 30.

Consumers are urged to not drink the cider by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.

E. Coli symptoms vary, but if a consumer shows signs of stomach cramps, bloody diarrhea and vomiting they should consult a doctor, Jennifer Holton, communications director for the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development said.

There have been no reports of human illness associated with this contamination thus far, Holton said.

The department has released a consumer's warning and the mill has voluntarily stopped producing cider while further testing occurs.

“It is still early in the process in doing the pathogen testing," Holton said. "We are working with Uncle John’s and they are committed to providing a wholesome, safe product."

Holton said the department may never know the cause of the contamination.

Mike Beck, president of Uncle John's Cider Mill, said this is a situation entirely new to his company and that during more than 25 years of random sampling nothing like this has occurred.

“This has never happened to us before. It is part of the risk of making raw, unpasteurized cider," Beck said. "There is a warning label on the jug I guess, but this nothing we would ever want to happen or intend to happen."

Share and discuss “Update: Uncle John's Cider Mill resumes sales” on social media.