MSU police evaluate secure-in-place, alert systems following national events

<p>Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Though the MSU police's alert system was designed to get as much safety information across to MSU students and East Lansing community members as quickly as possible in the event of an emergency, on Friday MSU police used it as a tool to inform students of emergency procedures following the school shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon.

At noon on Friday, those signed up on the alert portal received a lengthy message advising students to see something say something. MSU police's alert system has undergone a number of changes in recent months, coupled with the times a MSU has undergone a secure-in-place for a number of emergencies.

The alert referenced how people could give the police tips through their website or Facebook page, or a safety training class individuals can take, also citing divisions of the police force including a Crime and Intelligence Analyst team and the Behavioral Threat Assessment Team.

"MSU takes all indications of threats to our safety very seriously," the alert read. "Through these initiatives we can all be proactive about risks associated with violence."

In the event of a secure in place, used for emergencies that could put those on campus in danger, MSU generally only locks down a part of the campus. For example an emergency affecting one part of campus wouldn't that wouldn't affect a building at the other end would not necessitate a campus-wide lockdown, MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said. 

This is done in order to prevent panic. 

However, should a student become involved in a secure in place, MSU police ask them to follow a series of precautions.

Individuals are asked to plan an escape route and leave belongings behind, locate an interior room of the building and block the door with heavy furniture, silence phones and avoid windows. If in imminent danger, act aggressively, yell loudly or throw objects to incapacitate the attacker.

The alert system's changes included the launch of the Alert Portal in February and just last month launched improvements to better inform students of an emergency once an alert is sent out. Users are sent one of several pre-written messages about a type of emergency, later to be followed by more specific details. 

Share and discuss “MSU police evaluate secure-in-place, alert systems following national events” on social media.