Student groups respond to possible defunding of Planned Parenthood

<p>Courtesy of Planned Parenthood</p>

Courtesy of Planned Parenthood

The future of Planned Parenthood has captured national attention in congress and nationwide. 

And the debate has brought passionate, opposing perspectives to MSU student groups.

Whether it’s giving out free condoms, educating on campus about sexual health or standing by Planned Parenthood, MSU Students for Choice are making their voices heard.

MSU Students for Choice takes a stance on women’s health issues and the right to an abortion.

“We like to emphasize a lot on consent, safe sex, educating the community,” Cayley Winters, MSU Students for Choice President and interdisciplinary studies in social science junior, said. “A large part of our group is talking about contraception.”

Winters said Students for Choice educates about proper contraceptive use for the MSU community. She said those who oppose abortion rights for women see the issue only in black and white.

“Although a lot of people do believe that conception starts at life, that’s only one ideology,” Winters said.

When asked about the repercussions if Planned Parenthood were to ever be defunded, “I do believe that it would be detrimental to a lot of people especially college age people because they’re the ones that are the most sexually active,” Winters said. “They’re the most at risk for STIs, HIV and HPV.”

Winters said Planned Parenthood is a place of information for the students who come to college in the dark about sex.

“What we will continue to do is knocking on doors, continue telling people about our services even if they’re against abortion,” Winters said.

Alternatively, MSU Students for Life fights for the rights of the unborn. The group involves itself in the protection of unborn babies and the opposition to abortion.

“The stance of our organization is, as long as Planned Parenthood provides abortions we do not support them receiving taxpayer funding,” Vinny Szczerowski, President of MSU Students for Life and public policy senior, said.

Szczerowski said MSU Students for Life equate abortion with the murder of an innocent life. However, some members of the group are accepting of the other services Planned Parenthood provides — leaving abortion out of the mix.

“Personally, the other services they provide, I believe are fine,” Szczerowski said.

Szczerowski and other pro-life students attend the March for Life, a national march on Washington to fight for legislation to eradicate abortion in the United States.

MSU Students for Life also involves its pro-life activism through speakers and rallies on and off campus.

Szczerowski said it can be complicated for his group to get their word out while Students for Choice does the same.

“As long as they continue to glorify or say how abortions are good women’s health initiative, we will also continue to counter that by saying that it is in fact murder of a unborn life,” Szczerowski said.

Szczerowski said the pro-life group continues to support the rights of unborn children, speaking for those who cannot.

“They have every right to profess their belief as we do ours,” Szczerowski said. 

Share and discuss “Student groups respond to possible defunding of Planned Parenthood ” on social media.