Sunday, May 12, 2024

MSU Police warn of check fraud

<p>Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

The MSU Police Department has issued a warning against the growing threat of fake checks that could cost students thousands of dollars.

The process involves assailants contacting students, explaining they do not have a checking account, and asking the student to deposit or cash a check for them.

The aggressor may also ask for PIN numbers or a debit card to withdraw money themselves.

The student victim is then presented with the convincing fraudulent check.

“The check is always phony, as is the person’s story, but that may take days or weeks to discover,” according to an MSUPD statement. “Just because cash can be immediately withdrawn due to the current policy of the credit union, doesn’t mean the check is good.”

As a result, the account holders, namely students, are held responsible for the loss of funds.

Almost all of the schemes have been targeted at holders of Michigan State University Federal Credit Union accounts, so students are instructed to be weary of individuals who contact them regarding financial information.

The warning also added that many of these criminals are also perpetrators of violent crimes.

Here are some warning signs and tips to stay safe from MSUPD's website: 

1. Scammers will befriend you and ask you to cash a check as a favor.
  2. They often meet people as part of a social circle or through shared social media.
  3. They may offer you money or gifts for your cooperation.
  4. You should never loan out your debit card or give out your PIN.
  5. If you suspect you are being solicited to take part in scam contact your local police department.
  6. Remember that often times these scammers are violent criminals.

If you are a student who has been approached by someone you think to be committing this fraud, call MSUPD at (517) 355-2221.

Share and discuss “MSU Police warn of check fraud” on social media.