Monday, May 6, 2024

Column: Professor Bucqueroux made class inspiring

<p>Journalism freshman&nbsp;Kayleigh Garrison.</p><p><em>&nbsp;<br /></em></p>

Journalism freshman Kayleigh Garrison.

When news broke that journalism professor and community activist Bonnie Bucqueroux passed away, students and colleagues were stunned. Although she hasn't been in school since early in the semester, I never realized how sick she was. Since she wasn't in class, her TA would Skype her in and she would teach the class from her home. After she discussed a few things with the class, professor Bucqueroux would wave goodbye and the TA would then play a prerecorded lecture from professor Bucqueroux's YouTube channel. With this series of events, I never realized professor Bucqueroux was so sick. She was always so overjoyed and full of life when she Skyped us that I never noticed.

I still remember the last time she Skyped my class. It was on Tuesday, Oct. 13. The TA Skyped her in and she told us how happy she was to see us and told us how much she had to discuss with us. Due to poor internet connection, the Skype call was cut short and we resorted to finishing the rest of class watching the prerecorded lecture. It's sad knowing that was the last time any of us will ever see her alive.

Because I am a freshman, I haven't known professor Bucqueroux long. She was only in class for a couple weeks before she went on medical leave. I remember walking into her class the second day of school feeling nervous and not knowing what to expect. It was a large class and I was afraid I would get lost. However, the minute she started talking I was reassured that would not be the case. After class, I introduced myself and she was so kind and excited to meet me. After talking to her, her class suddenly felt so much smaller and I didn't feel as lost. Professor Bucqueroux made everyone feel so welcome in her class and reassured everyone that her class would not be one to miss. I remember walking into her class twice a week feeling excited about the lecture she had prepared for us. Her lectures weren't like most professors' though. Although she was teaching a lot from the book, most of her lectures were filled with stories of her life and all of the discoveries she made throughout her career. She was an innovator and a pioneer of journalism. It was impossible not to feel inspired while watching her teach. She literally paved the way for journalism and even helped with the startup of the internet. It still amazes me that she was a pioneer of the internet and went around the country teaching police officers how to use the internet.

However, she wasn't only a pioneer and innovator of journalism. Throughout her amazing career, professor Bucqueroux was a community activist. She stood up for what she believed in and rallied around events that inspired her. I felt inspired every time I was in her class. You don't hear of many of your teachers running for the Green Party for Michigan's 8th Congressional District either.

Professor Bucqueroux inspired everyone she came in contact with. Although I'm sad I never got to know her more or learn more from her, I'm thankful for the time I did have with her and I'm thankful for all of the knowledge I have learned from her. She was a pioneer, an innovator and an amazing professor — her memory will live on.

Kayleigh Garrison is a journalism freshman at MSU. 

Share and discuss “Column: Professor Bucqueroux made class inspiring ” on social media.