MSU police and East Lansing police to implement body cameras

<p>Students and members of The Committee of Citizen Oversight of Police Officers protest to get in contact with the MSU Police Department's Chief of Police Nov. 13, 2014, at the MSU Police Department on Abbott Road. The committee claims that officers are accountable for their actions and should wear body cameras for evidence of their harassment towards citizens. The chief of police has declined their demands previously. Raymond Williams/The State News</p>

Students and members of The Committee of Citizen Oversight of Police Officers protest to get in contact with the MSU Police Department's Chief of Police Nov. 13, 2014, at the MSU Police Department on Abbott Road. The committee claims that officers are accountable for their actions and should wear body cameras for evidence of their harassment towards citizens. The chief of police has declined their demands previously. Raymond Williams/The State News

Beginning this semester, the MSU Police Department have equipped all on-duty officers with body cameras.

In addition, the East Lansing Police Department is in the process of testing their new cameras to be implemented early 2016, ELPD Lt. Scott Wrigglesworth said.

MSU police ordered $110,000 worth of body cameras, Capt. Kelly Roudebush said, to equip officers on duty, although she said officers at the police station didn't usually wear them.

Sgt. Michael Aguilera said with any change inside a police force — who are used to following procedures put in place decades ago — there will be some adjustment period and this is no different. 

One issue with the body cameras so far is the added cost of storing all of the data. There's a tremendous amount of data if a camera is constantly recording while on shift and so far there's no set guidelines with how long they will keep it before purging the system.

Roudebush said it would be at least a month, though since the widespread use of the cameras is new there is still nothing decided. Individual parts of the footage can be cut and stored in the case of a specific investigation, lasting longer than the typical timeframe.

Regarding the change, Aguilera said it would only be officers who do something wrong on camera who would need to worry.

"I don't do anything I need to worry about," he said.

ELPD does not plan on equipping its entire police force due to the cost, Wrigglesworth said. Currently, about eight cameras are being tested by the ELPD at $400 to $500 a piece and the cost of equipping the full force would be about $30,000.

Every two years, ELPD holds a department-wide three day training session and if the field tests on the cameras are successful and everything goes to plan, January or February of 2016 would see the start of standardized use. 

"It protects both the officers and the public."

"It protects both the officers and the public," Wrigglesworth said. "It ensures that we're doing it the right way and it also ensures that the public's getting treated the way it should be treated."

Last year, a number of student groups held protests with demands against the police force, including body cameras, and the Council of Graduate Students formally endorsed the use of body cameras by MSU police.

Share and discuss “MSU police and East Lansing police to implement body cameras ” on social media.