ASMSU details three news bills at latest meeting

<p>Public policy senior Domonique Clemons, president of the associated students, addresses the policy committee at the ASMSU meeting on Sept. 24, 2015 in the Student Affairs and Services building. He said that he hopes to use the skills gained during his time at ASMSU to work in local or state government in Michigan.</p>

Public policy senior Domonique Clemons, president of the associated students, addresses the policy committee at the ASMSU meeting on Sept. 24, 2015 in the Student Affairs and Services building. He said that he hopes to use the skills gained during his time at ASMSU to work in local or state government in Michigan.

Photo by Catherine Ferland | The State News

The Associated Students of Michigan State University (ASMSU) have passed legislation pertaining to sexual assault education, undocumented students and recycling.

Here are the three bills passed by ASMSU this week and what they could mean for students.

1. ASMSU has allocated $12,000 to fund a program by Youtuber Laci Green where she would come to campus and speak to students.

Green is a sex educator and has a Youtube channel that discusses different subjects pertaining to sexuality.

“I had been thinking about other ways we could move forward on sexual assault and keep it in the conversation," College of Natural Science general assembly member Felicia Jansen said. 

Jansen proposed the bill to have Laci Green come and speak on campus. 

Green tours college campuses giving talks and offering different programs regarding sex and consent.

“We are hoping to talk about it (sexual assault) more," Jansen said. 

Jansen said Laci Green's celebrity status will hopefully bring more students into the conversation.

Green’s audience amounts to more than 1.4 million Youtube subscribers.

ASMSU has funded the event as a continuation of promoting discussions about sexual assault and consent.

Jansen said the event is expected to be in February 2016 and will be held in a larger lecture hall.

2. ASMSU now advocates for students who live in multi-family apartment complexes with no recycling center.

Students have to choose between piling up recycling material and taking a trip to drop-off the material or tossing the recyclable materials in the dumpster. The result can be inconvenient for students and harmful towards the environment.

The bill would have ASMSU promote change so that off-campus students in apartments will have easier access to recycle.

3. The Michigan Dreamer’s Act is currently under debate for specific universities in the state of Michigan. The act would allow undocumented students access to in-state tuition at universities. 

MSU charges undocumented students out-of-state tuition, which is triple the tuition they would pay under the act.

Undocumented students are also not able to apply for financial aid.

ASMSU now advocates for the bill and will urge MSU to support the acceptance of the bill.

Share and discuss “ASMSU details three news bills at latest meeting ” on social media.