VIDEO: University Stores aim to service students on campus

Rotating carousels, maneuvering forklifts, boxes stacked to the ceiling—this is the scenery of MSU’s University Stores, located at 166 Service Rd.

Aside from the large warehouse, University stores also has a small shop in front where apparel, office supplies, batteries, etc. is sold.

The store is a good place for students to go during move-in, Operations Coordinator Bill Grice said, adding they also have well-priced apparel which other on-campus stores buy and resell.

University Stores mainly services campus departments, Director of University Services Kim Kokenakes said, but they also sell to anyone who is a part of the university, including faculty, staff, and students.

“University stores is a warehousing and distribution unit that services the campus community,” Kokenakes said, adding they stock and distribute supplies for the campus.

Though not many know about University Stores, since they are don’t advertise and aren’t located on central campus, Grice said it saves the university money because they are able to get discounts by buying in volume.

“We supply basically a small city because we’re part of the university and we have everything from office supplies to lab supplies to hardware,” Grice said, describing it as a “one-stop shop”.

Grice said the store will also order and stock things for departments, often buying them in bulk, so they are able to get lower prices . They also have free shipping and next day delivery.

“They’re ready and available in the warehouse, university staff … for departments can come and pick items up if they need them quickly,” Kokenakes said.

Aside from the university, Kokenakes said they also sell to Lansing Community College and local non-profits, since University Stores can get better pricing and receive items faster than department stores.

University Stores also works to make the campus more environmentally friendly, Grice said, by buying green products and delivering and picking up packages and mail around campus to keep outside delivery trucks off campus.

“We exist to serve the campus and … we’ve looked to really reduce some of our cost to look at … delivering product to the campus as efficiently and effectively as we can,” Kokenakes said.

Share and discuss “VIDEO: University Stores aim to service students on campus ” on social media.