Eron Harris arrest report reveals blood alcohol content above legal limit

<p>Junior guard Denzel Valentine, junior guard Eron Harris,  freshman forward Marvin Clark Jr. and junior forward Matt Costello celebrate Costello's basket Mar. 4, 2015, during the game against Purdue at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers, 72-66. Emily Nagle/The State News
</p>

Junior guard Denzel Valentine, junior guard Eron Harris, freshman forward Marvin Clark Jr. and junior forward Matt Costello celebrate Costello's basket Mar. 4, 2015, during the game against Purdue at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers, 72-66. Emily Nagle/The State News

Photo by Emily Nagle | The State News

On July 1, MSU basketball player and junior guard Eron Harris was arrested for operating a vehicle while intoxicated and blew a 0.12 blood alcohol content on a breathalyzer test, according to the police report obtained by The State News.

The legal limit in Michigan is 0.08 BAC.

In the report, officers stated they could smell alcohol coming from the suspect’s breath. Harris was given two citations — one for the OWI and another for refusing a preliminary breathalyzer test. Harris was initially pulled over for improper lane usage.

“At the intersection of Abbott and Grand River the suspect was turning left onto Abbot and went through the red light. He then got in the lane to go straight on Abbott and then switched lanes to the right-hand turn lane to turn right on Albert and then got back over onto Abbott,” the police report read.

Harris eventually accepted a breathalyzer test and blew a 0.12 BAC. He informed the officers he had a couple of shots before he left home to pick up a friend from Rick’s American Cafe.

Harris was coherent as he passed a few phases of the field sobriety test, but he could not complete the walk-and-turn or one-leg stand, as he was unable to keep his balance.

Harris participated in the Moneyball Pro-Am Summer Basketball League just hours before the incident. He played in the last game of the night which would have ended between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m.

The junior guard was charged $200 for bond and $145 for 145 minutes of police labor costs. 

Share and discuss “Eron Harris arrest report reveals blood alcohol content above legal limit” on social media.