VIDEO: Residents mourn Charleston victims at Lansing Capitol

On Sunday, June 28, more than 50 residents of the Lansing-East Lansing area gathered on the steps of the State Capitol Building in remembrance of the racially-motivated massacre in Charleston, S.C.

Lansing resident Crystal Michelle was a main organizer in creating the event, “Say Her Name/Pray for Charleston,” and she said she did it as a way to bring the community together to mourn an event she felt disheartened by.

"When I heard the news about Charleston, I was heartbroken and I was terrified and I wanted to gain a sense of community with people in Lansing and people in Michigan, who were also feeling the same feelings I was," Michelle said. 

Michelle read a speech by MSU student Teeoncey Sanders who was unable to attend the event, and a poem Michelle wrote herself for those in attendance. After that she, along with her co-event organizers, read off biographies from the nine people killed in the Charleston shooting, followed by two minutes of silence and the event concluded with The Lord's Prayer.

Share and discuss “VIDEO: Residents mourn Charleston victims at Lansing Capitol ” on social media.