Sunday, May 12, 2024

City Council introduces ordinance regulating downtown building height

Construction continues on the St. Anne Luxury Lofts Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012. Permanent occupancy permits for the apartment complex are awaiting approval. Adam Toolin/The State News

A denser, more lively downtown East Lansing was the vision in the minds of council members and city officials alike when the council approved the introduction of ordinance number 1348 to the planning commission. 

The ordinance, introduced and referred at the June 16 meeting, if approved will set a minimum building height of four-stories or 64 feet in the B-3 District.

The B-3 District, according to Tim Dempsey, director of planning, building and development and the city’s zoning map, includes the area from Collingwood Drive to the People’s Church of East Lansing. The southern boundary of the district is Grand River Avenue and the northern boundary is Albert Avenue and a couple blocks past in spots. The ordinance could contribute greatly to the future of the city according to officials.

City Manager George Lahanas said the ordinance will fight urban sprawl preventing the need for longer commutes, additional paved roads and taking away from farm land. It will create a more vibrant and active downtown according to Lahanas, but won’t have a negative effect on businesses already settled in the B-3 District.

The ordinance will not require already-constructed buildings to make any changes, but if any new construction were to occur ordinance 1348 would have to be followed pending planning commission discussion and council approval.

Typically it takes about two meetings for an ordinance to work its way through the planning commission, according to Dempsey. There will be a public hearing and a chance for community input as part of the planning commission’s agenda. Afterward, the commission will make its recommendation to the council and the council will make its final decision on the ordinance. The ordinance has potential to change East Lansing for the better according to officials.

“It continues to push our downtown as a more urbanized downtown with more people living here which will bring more shoppers, helps businesses and creates a more diverse downtown in terms of level of activity,” Dempsey said.

Share and discuss “City Council introduces ordinance regulating downtown building height” on social media.