Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Urban Dreams MSU Grammys a chance for students to showcase talents

Video and production by Jessica Sattler.

Business and accounting sophomore Courtney Bell has been rapping since he was five years old. 

On Saturday night in the Eli Broad College of Business, he and several of his peers performed in a rap cypher at the Urban Dreams MSU Grammys. 

Bell said he decided to join the Grammys to showcase his talent and come out of his shell.

"It's time to change the way hip hop is looked at," he said. "And why not support black women doing something positive?"

The Grammys has been a tradition of the MSU black community for the past nine years. This year's theme was "The Blackout," and all attendees were requested to wear all black clothing to the event. 

Physiology senior Ariel Johnson is president of Urban Dreams and oversaw the organization and design of the event.

"I feel like we're able to recognize a lot of talented black people, leaders and organizations," Johnson said. "(The Grammys) highlights a lot of the good things we have going on."

Sixteen awards were distributed throughout the night, interlaced with performances by dance and music groups. Categories ranged from "Favorite Student Organization" to "Favorite Tweeter."

Potential performers auditioned for members of Urban Dreams before the nomination process began.

Johnson said she was overwhelmed by the positive response from not only MSU, but the greater mid-Michigan area.

"So many people wanted to be a part of it," she said. "They were all really excited."

Nominees were collected via social media in the weeks prior to the event, Johnson said. Voting was then open for a week and whoever got the most votes in their category won the award.

Accounting sophomore DaChana Blaydes was awarded the title of "Miss Spartan Spirit," and said she was humbled to be recognized for such a title in the eyes of her peers.

Blaydes, who is involved in five different organizations on campus, joked that her over-involvement was probably the reason for her victory. 

She said she believes in the importance of the Grammys as a means to build community and recognize the achievements of others.

"It’s a time to gather with peers, and a time to recognize different talents like singing, dancing, and acting," Blaydes said. "It provides an opportunity for people to get to know each other and recognize the achievements of people they may have never met before, but now will want to get to know."

Share and discuss “Urban Dreams MSU Grammys a chance for students to showcase talents” on social media.