EDITORIAL: ASMSU right to seek repeal of keg tag law

Could making kegs easier to buy actually make MSU’s drinking culture safer? ASMSU thinks so.

The student government is hoping to talk Michigan legislators into repealing the state’s “keg tag” law, which requires the buyer of a keg of beer to register their information at the point of purchase.

The idea is that by having an individual’s name tied to a beer keg, it will discourage using that keg as a means to allow minors to drink. If police break up a party where there has been underage drinking, the supplier of the keg could face legal repercussions.

But ASMSU’s argument is the law won’t keep students from drinking — it will just keep them from drinking keg beer. Beer from a keg generally has a lower alcohol percentage than almost any other alcoholic option.

There’s no doubt the law was drafted in good faith. On paper, it seems like a logical idea.

However, in practice, the law could have unintended consequences. According to Olin Health Center, the year after the keg tag law took effect, liquor sales saw a 3.5-4 percent increase. Before the law, the common increase from liquor sales was less than two percent.

ASMSU’s assertion that the keg tag law may unintentionally drive students to drink stronger drinks such as hard liquor does seem to have some basis.

A National Institute of Health study supports the claim, showing a 12 percent increase in fatal underage crashes in areas where a keg tag law has been put in place.

So, will repealing this law make college parties and tailgates safer? The State News editorial board is not convinced. However, members of the board are confident that while there’s no way to be certain that it will help, it surely won’t hurt, either.

Yes, repealing the keg tag law could make party hosts less worried about being caught for supplying alcohol to underage drinkers. But let’s be clear — that booze is going to be purchased, regardless. Hypothetically, if a person hosting a party is scared off by the law about having to register to buy a keg doesn’t mean that party is going to be called off. Rather than a keg, the booze would be bought in a different, less trackable manner.

And considering that beer from a keg generally has a lower alcohol percentage than almost any other alcoholic option, it is a safer alternative than most choices at a liquor store.

The keg tag law has only accomplished discouraging people from buying kegs. It hasn’t discouraged people from buying alcohol, which might or might not be consumed by minors.

ASMSU is right to ask to get rid of it and its apparent unintended consequences.

Minority representative Sergio Martínez-Beltrán did not serve on this editorial because he was out of town at time of production.

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL: ASMSU right to seek repeal of keg tag law” on social media.