Skepticism a welcome viewpoint in MSU Paranormal Society

<p>Jessica Steeley</p>

Jessica Steeley

I am a skeptic. It’s probably not an uncommon point of view, but my opinion comes from experience. I’m a member of the Paranormal Society here at MSU, and I have been on numerous investigations. Yes, the kind of investigations shown on “Ghost Hunters.”

Personally, I’ve never had any experiences on these investigations. Another member of the club, also a skeptic, is in the same boat as me.

Now, I didn’t start off as a skeptic. The paranormal is fascinating to me. Every investigation I’ve hoped to have a paranormal experience. But, after the first three investigations, I began to wonder if there is actually anything there.

I’ve been involved in approximately half a dozen investigations, and I’ve never seen or heard anything unexplainable. My fellow skeptic is the same way. So, perhaps the reason only believers have these experiences, is simply because they believe in it.

I’m not saying it’s all in their heads, but it doesn’t hurt to always question what you see. Orbs are commonly claimed to be seen, but even paranormal believers often scoff at them. They can almost always be written off to a light reflection or car headlights.

What about feelings of paranoia and fear? It happens to investigators all the time, especially myself, and such environments are conducive to delusions. It’s dark, you’re in an infamously haunted location, and you’re searching for the paranormal. That can play tricks on anyone’s mind.

Whether you’re an investigator, an interested party or a bystander, situations and sightings which appear paranormal should always be questioned. Although the MSU Paranormal Society consists primarily of believers, skeptics are allowed and encouraged to join. During evidence review, if something unusual is found, it is always questioned.

Was that sound actually the pipes? Does that voice belong to an investigator? It never hurts to ask, and it’s ignorant to blindly believe every piece of supposed evidence is real.

There’s nothing wrong with believing in the paranormal, but don’t forget to be logical when faced with possible paranormal evidence; it never hurts to be a skeptic.

Share and discuss “Skepticism a welcome viewpoint in MSU Paranormal Society” on social media.