MSU alumnus appointed prime minister of South Korea

MSU criminal justice alumnus Lee Wan-Koo was named as the new Prime Minister of South Korea by President Park Geun-hye on Jan. 23, according to the South China Morning Post

He was officially sworn in on Feb. 17 after a parliamentary approval. 

Wan-Koo graduated from MSU in 1984 with a Master of Science degree from the School of Criminal Justice, and was a Wall of Fame Honoree for the school in 2005. 

After graduating from MSU, he worked as a Consul for the Korean Consulate General of Los Angeles. 

He was also elected as a Congressman in the Republic of Korea National Assembly in 1996. 

Wan-Koo has served multiple roles in the Korean National Police Agency, including Chief of the Hong-Sung Police Station, Chief Superintendent General of Chung-Buk Province Police Agency, and Chief Superintendent General of Chung-Nam Police Agency. 

In addition, he has received a number of awards, including the President Prize in 1979, the Patriotism Prize in 1980, and the Hong-Jo-Kuen-Jeon Prize Award in 1991, according to the MSU School of Criminal Justice

Wan-Koo is part of the Saenuri Party, a conservative party in Korea. Among additional ideology, the Saenuri party supports fiscal responsibility, a market-based economy, and caution in dealing with North Korea. 

Taking over the position should prove to have no shortage of work for Wan-Koo.

He will be busy trying to help improve the public viewing of current President Park Geun-hye, who's reputation has been somewhat tarnished resulting from unfulfilled promises to jumpstart the economy, as well as a scandal involving some senior administration officials. 

Share and discuss “MSU alumnus appointed prime minister of South Korea” on social media.