Monday, May 13, 2024

Community comes together to raise money for late Lacey Holsworth's foundation

<p>Senior center Adreian Payne holds St. Johns, Mich. resident Lacey Holsworth, 8, on March 6, 2014, at Breslin Center after the game against Iowa during Senior Night. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes 86-76. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Senior center Adreian Payne holds St. Johns, Mich. resident Lacey Holsworth, 8, on March 6, 2014, at Breslin Center after the game against Iowa during Senior Night. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes 86-76. Julia Nagy/The State News

Nearly a year after her death, students and residents are still trying to #LoveLikeLacey.

On Wednesday, the East Lansing and MSU communities came together to celebrate the Second Annual Lacey Day Fundraiser at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Lacey Holsworth, the 8-year-old cancer patient who became a symbol of strength and courage for the community, died in early April of 2014, less than a month after the first Buffalo Wild Wings fundraiser.

This year, Buffalo Wild Wings decided to raise money for the Princess Lacey Legacy Foundation, which provides alternative therapies to pediatric cancer patients, Abby Eiseler, the assistant manager, said.

“It’s encouraging to us, to just see so many people who still remember her and that want to support her and support us and her dream.  We’re just really excited,” said Matt Holsworth, Lacey’s father.

Eiseler said 20 percent of the food and beverage sales go to Lacey’s foundation, and they hope to have the fundraiser every year.

Matt Holsworth said they got to talk to several people at the fundraiser whose lives were affected by Lacey.

“She was encouraging to others who were in their own personal battle,” said Lacey's mother, Heather Holsworth.

“Whether it be physical, or mental, or emotional she helped them somehow, in some way, to be able to have the strength to get through it,” her father added.

Many events went on throughout the night, including a silent auction and a wing eating contest. For the kids, there was a photo booth, face painting, balloon art and a craft table.

Eiseler formed a friendship with Lacey last February, and she said she thinks it’s amazing that Lacey is still a part the communities surrounding MSU and East Lansing.

“One of the best things is that nobody’s forgotten her. She's still very much a part of what people are doing and … teaching them how to love, and have a smile on their face. Everything that she did is promoted, it’s nice to see,” Eiseler said.

Heather Holsworth shared why she thought her daughter touched the community so deeply. 

“People think that pure and innocent love is so hard to come by, and she didn’t have any reservation, no limitations. ... She generally loved everyone, and had a concern for everyone, and I think that impacted people deeply,” Heather Holsworth said. 

The event, which coincidentally fell on the last home basketball game of the season, went on from 11 a.m. until 2 a.m., and was especially packed during dinner time, though people were there buying shirts in the morning as well.

“That’s probably the best part of it all. I mean, all these people are here right now because of her,” Eiseler said. 

The Holsworths said the students meant a lot to Lacey and they could tell how much MSU students loved her, adding that they love hearing from students who were affected by Lacey.

“There’s been times we’ve been at the games and I’ll catch a glimpse of their Lacey band, and I’m like ‘Oh my gosh, they’re still wearing it,'" Heather said. "And just to know that it means something to them, that’s why they’re still wearing it a year later,” Heather Holsworth said.

Share and discuss “Community comes together to raise money for late Lacey Holsworth's foundation” on social media.