Sunday, May 12, 2024

LETTER: Feminism is not a choice for everyone across the globe

Recently I read an article in relation to global feminism and the opinion of one woman who stated, “I have personally tried to understand the reason why women choose not to be a feminist. I cannot fathom exactly why women contribute to their own oppression at the expense of making men more comfortable in their patriarchy.”

To start with, not all women, especially globally, have the choice to be a feminist and although women might not want to contribute to their own oppression, they often do so out of not having a choice. For example, in Iran women must sit in specific reserved sections on the bus and must enter public buildings through a separate entrance from men. They must stay in “women only” areas while in public, and health care is also separate.

Therefore, a woman’s equality lies in government and the laws they impose and enforce. When a woman’s testimony is only worth half that of a man, this becomes a significant hurdle for obtaining equal justice for women. Until societies like this change, women in these countries have no choice but to contribute to their own oppression. Therefore, the question should not be as to why one cannot see why a woman would not be a feminist and take part in her own oppression, but what are feminists who do have a choice doing to help those who do not have a choice? This is what the true global fight on feminism should be about. 

Elizabeth Elsner, is MSU graduate student in social work

Share and discuss “LETTER: Feminism is not a choice for everyone across the globe” on social media.