Students reconsider athletic concessions, spirit wear in effort to save money

But many fans may not immediately consider the actual cost of attending a game. The costs of going to a game starts to add up as soon as a fan buys their ticket.

The price of MSU basketball tickets on StubHub vary from game to game, with tickets as low as $4.05, which is the case with the game against Pennsylvania State, and as high as $742.28, which is the current price of an Ohio State game ticket.

Concession prices are another factor a fan must consider when attending a game. Some students have said the prices are too high.

Animal science junior Cooper Hasselbrink is a season ticket holder in The Izzone, and recalled spending a large chunk of change each game.

“I will sometimes get some snacks at the game,” Hasselbrink said. “I haven’t gotten any this year, but I did a lot last year. Usually it was just a large drink and sometimes a pretzel. It was around five or eight bucks a game at least.”

Hasselbrink said he reconsidered the frequency at which he purchased concessions this year because of the price.

“I think (prices) are too high, and they definitely keep me from buying more. That’s the reason I haven’t been buying anything this year,” Hasselbrink said.

Athletic training senior Luke Klawiter used to have Izzone tickets and tried to save money by spending sparingly on concessions.

“Usually I would have snacks waiting in line. Occasionally I would buy a water or a pop if I needed the caffeine,” Klawiter said. “Once or twice I would buy nachos or hot dogs. If (concessions) were cheaper I’d be more likely to buy them more often, but I just try to save money overall by bringing snacks.”

Not all students are as concerned with concessions, however. Accounting senior Chris Valade rarely purchases something from concessions, but this is not because of the prices.

“I don’t think (prices) are bad compared to other venues I’ve been to,” Valade said. “I rarely buy anything. Occasionally I will buy a drink.”

Athletic training senior Brad Weitzel is another former Izzone member who said the prices are reasonable compared to other sporting locations.

“I would buy usually something like a hot dog or pretzel and a drink.” Weitzel said. “From what I’m used to from Boston venues, prices are lower comparatively so I like that.”

A limited selection of clothing is also sold in the Breslin Center during games. The clothing is slightly marked up, however.

An Izzone T-shirt on msuspartans.com costs $25.95, while the same shirt is $28 at Breslin Center.

Share and discuss “Students reconsider athletic concessions, spirit wear in effort to save money” on social media.