Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Group promotes animal-assisted therapy

The Michigan State University Animal Assisted Therapy Group seeks to spread awareness about the benefits of service animals.

The group was formed last spring by president Amy Shelle, a social work graduate student with a background in animal science. Shelle had the idea for the group when she began looking into the benefits of animals as therapy tools.

“Animals provide nonjudgemental being,” Shelle said. “People open up and laugh more. It’s stress relief.”

She feels it’s important to educate the public on proper etiquette around these working animals, after experiencing uncomfortable situations firsthand while training her service dog, a rottweiler named Kai.

“People don’t know how to respond to her. Some of them try to talk to her, which can be very distracting,” Shelle said.

The group points to disadvantages of traditional medication methods suggested by most therapists as validation of the importance of animal assisted therapy.

Sabrina Salome, the club’s secretary and zoology senior, feels strongly that the benefit of animal therapy is unmatched by traditional medication. Though the cost of attaining and caring for a service animal can be higher than the cost of medication, she feels the benefits outweigh the costs.

“There are expenses, but you also have a dog. You get more out of it,” Salome said.

Treasurer Caylee Kaitner, zoology and pre-vet sophomore, agrees.

“Service animals don’t have side effects. You can still feel emotions and deal with them,” Kaitner said. “With medication, you lose the positives too.”

Veterans, those who suffer from psychiatric disorders, physical disabilities and children with reading problems are just a few of those who can benefit from animal-assisted therapy.

The group has been involved with a number of other local businesses that share their passion for animal-based therapy. Group members have visited CHUM Therapeutic Riding Center, which utilizes hippotherapy, a form of therapy involving horses, to assist children and adults who suffer from disorders like autism, attention deficit disorder, arthritis and cerebral palsy. Additionally, the group has ties to Stiggy’s Dogs, an organization that adopts and trains shelter dogs to be paired with veterans.

The group will be holding a fundraiser at 10 a.m. on Feb. 8 at Preuss Pets in Lansing. Homemade dog and cat treats, puppy chow for humans and time at a puppy kissing booth will be available for purchase.

The Michigan State University Animal Assisted Therapy Group meets bimonthly in the Veterinary Medical Clinic.

Share and discuss “Group promotes animal-assisted therapy” on social media.