Sunday, September 22, 2024

MSU freshman Matthew Mullen charged with terrorism for Yik Yak shooting threat

A post on Yik-Yak that sent several East Lansing schools into lockdown in late November is now being charged as terrorism in East Lansing’s 54-B District Court.

Finance freshman Matthew Mullen appeared Tuesday morning for a pre-trial conference.

Although a preliminary examination trial was set for this Friday regarding Mullen’s charges of terrorism, both parties have agreed to push the dates back until January of 2015 in order to prepare information.

Mullen’s bond was modified to allow him to leave the state over winter break as long as he resided with his parents. The prosecution is planning to talk to student witnesses over the break as well.

When asked if he would be returning to MSU next semester, Mullen said it is “still up in the air”.

Mullen was arrested on Nov. 22 in East Akers Hall after posting an anonymous threat on social-media app Yik Yak that read “I’m gonna (gun emoji) the school at 12:15 p.m. today,” court records indicate.

The threat was posted at about 10:35 a.m. and police determined Mullen’s location within two hours. Multiple schools in the East Lansing area went into lockdown after the vague threat was reported to the police.

Mullen's next court appearance is scheduled for a probable cause pre-examination on Jan. 9.

Share and discuss “MSU freshman Matthew Mullen charged with terrorism for Yik Yak shooting threat” on social media.