MSU drops GLI title to Michigan 2-1

In the 300th meeting between the schools the Wolverines got the win

<p>Junior forward Michael Ferrantino skates past the Michigan lineup for a second place trophy Dec. 29, 2014, during the 50th Great Lakes Invitational at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 2-1. Danyelle Morrow/The State News
</p>

Junior forward Michael Ferrantino skates past the Michigan lineup for a second place trophy Dec. 29, 2014, during the 50th Great Lakes Invitational at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 2-1. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

MSU hockey (7-10-1, 1-2-1-1 Big Ten) made its 26th appearance in the Great Lakes Invitational title game on Monday night, facing off against UM for the 300th time in the programs’ storied rivalry. The Wolverines came out on top at the end, winning by a score of 2-1. 

"They started with a lot of jump," head coach Tom Anastos said. "We played hard the entire 60 minutes but I thought we played uptight the first part of the game...As the game went on, especially after they scored the second goal, I thought we began pressing like we had to score two goals on one shot."

After entering the third period trailing 2-0, MSU cut its deficit in half 4:07 into the period with a Rhett Holland goal from the blue line. That is all MSU could muster however, as they went on to lose 2-1 to the Wolverines.

Holland, whose goal was his first as a Spartan, was named to the All-Tournament team after registering a goal and an assist in the two games. 

"I didn't even know it was an award 'til after," Holland said. "It's nice to win, but I'm still sick to my stomach that we're sitting right here."

UM got on the board first in the title game, scoring 9:17 into the first period. After junior defenseman John Draeger abandoned the Spartans’ zone to make a hit along the boards, UM’s Andrew Copp skated in on a 2-on-1 break. With senior defenseman Ron Boyd taking away the passing lane, Copp wristed a shot underneath goaltender Jake Hildebrand’s arm and into the net.

The goal broke Hildebrand's streak of 106:04 scoreless minutes in the GLI. Hildebrand stopped 27-of-29 shots on the night.

The Wolverines built on their lead 12:14 into the second period. Zach Hyman took a point-pass from Michael Downing in front of the net and lifted a nice backhand shot over the right shoulder of Hildebrand. The goal was Hyman’s second of the tournament and ninth of the season.

"Hyman made a nice skill play," Hildebrand said. "He stopped it and I didn't think he had anywhere to put it, but he put it back bar."

MSU finally found the back of the net 4:07 into the third period. It was the same combination that got the Spartans’ first goal on Sunday night, with senior forward Brent Darnell assisting on Holland's goal this time around.

Holland fired an innocent looking wrist shot from the left point. With junior forward Ryan Keller providing a screen in front, UM goaltender Steve Racine had trouble tracking the puck and it found the back of the net.

With Hildebrand standing tall in net for the Spartans to keep the score 2-1, MSU had its fair share of opportunities to tie it down the stretch. After a roughing penalty to MSU, sophomore forward Joe Cox got behind the Wolverine defense for a shorthanded breakaway but was stonewalled by Racine.

Racine, who was named the tournament's MVP, stopped 31-of-32 shots on the night and 70-of-72 throughout the tournament. 

"What I thought we didn't do a good enough job is finding ways to create more traffic in front of the net," Anastos said. "There were pucks available."

MSU will resume its Big Ten schedule on Jan. 16th when they travel to take on Penn State.

Share and discuss “MSU drops GLI title to Michigan 2-1” on social media.