Izzo expresses admiration for Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski

The Spartans will take on Duke in the Champions Classic tonight at 7 p.m.

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo speaks to the media during men's basketball media day on Oct. 28, 2014, at Breslin Center. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo speaks to the media during men's basketball media day on Oct. 28, 2014, at Breslin Center. Julia Nagy/The State News

The players on the basketball court will certainly provide an interesting matchup on Tuesday, but the chess match on the sidelines will be equally compelling and might decide the game.

No. 19 MSU (1-0 overall) led by eight-time National Coach of the Year Tom Izzo, will take on No. 4 Duke (2-0 overall), coached by the winningest coach in Division I history, Mike Krzyzewski.

“It’s incredible what (Krzyzewski)’s done,” Izzo said. “It’s well documented and deserved.”

Krzyzewski, or “Coach K” as he is known around college basketball circles, has won 985 games as Duke’s coach over the last forty years and holds almost every record for an active head coach, including Final Four appearances (11), most consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances (19) and highest NCAA Tournament winning percentage (.759).

“He’s been a model of consistency,” Izzo said. “I have great respect for that.”

Izzo himself has also been a model of consistency, guiding the Spartans to 17 straight NCAA Tournament appearances and a .732 winning percentage during his twenty years as head coach.

Izzo not only commended Krzyzewski for his coaching acumen during his press conference on Monday afternoon but also complimented Coach K as a person.

“He’s always treated me great,” Izzo said. “But I think he treats most people great.”

Izzo couldn’t remember for sure but speculated that the first time he met Coach K was as an assistant, during a recruiting trip for Detroit, Mich native Chris Webber in the late 80s.

Tonight’s game will be the ninth meeting between the two.

Krzyzewski has had the upper hand in head-to-head matchups, winning seven of the eight contests. With the most recent Coach K win coming in the Sweet Sixteen round of the 2013 NCAA Tournament, where Duke, a two seed defeated MSU, a three seed, 71-61.

Izzo knows trying to get his second career win against Krzyzewski will be tough.

“It’s an imposing group,” Izzo said.

The Blue Devils return several key contributions, including senior guard Quinn Cook and junior guard Rasheed Sulaimon, from a team which won 26 games last year.

Duke also reeled in an impressive freshman class, which included four McDonald’s All- Americans.

Share and discuss “Izzo expresses admiration for Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski” on social media.