Tuesday, May 14, 2024

MSU ranks in top 10 among U.S. universities for international students, study abroad programs

MSU ranked ninth among the top institutions hosting international students for the 2013-2014  academic year. 

According to the Open Doors Report released by the Institute of International Education, MSU had a growth rate of 14 percent in international student enrollment between 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. The international student count rose from 6,759 to 7,704.

New York University ranked as No.1 followed by the University of Southern California, and the University of Michigan came in at No. 11.

MSU has held its rank for 4 consecutive academic years after dropping from No. 8 in 2009-2010.

It was also ranked No. 5 for student participation in study abroad programs, with 2,514 students receiving credit for a study abroad program in the 2012–2013 school year.

Steven Hanson, associate provost and dean of International Studies and Programs , told MSU Today, “Engaging with international students on campus and cultural immersion experiences through study abroad shapes our students’ global perspective, leading to success far beyond graduation.”

Liz Matthews, assistant director at the Office for International Students and Scholars, said she believes rankings and word-of-mouth are key factors in what draws international students to MSU.

“I think international students are drawn to Michigan State (because of) its reputation as a top university in the world,” she said.

According to another report conducted by the IIE, China is the No. 1 place of origin for international students, both nationally and at MSU. Matthews said there are 4,733 Chinese students attending this year , most of them being undergraduates. She also noted that MSU actively recruits in certain countries, but not China.

“We feel a rise in the middle class in China is contributing to a larger number of young people, students, being able to financially afford to study at the best university,” Matthews said.

Matthews also said there’s been a significant increase in Brazilian students. There were 90 Brazilian students last year and this year there are 169, primarily in the non-degree category, meaning they’re similar to foreign exchange students. Matthews said she attributes this to the Brazilian government encouraging students to participate in study abroad programs because they want to internationalize their students.

Matthews said the top five colleges among international students are business, engineering, natural science, social science and agriculture and natural resources. The top majors are finance, accounting, economics and supply chain management.

International students make up 14.5 percent of the total student population.  Matthews said it’s to her understanding that admissions wants to keep it at that level, but are looking to diversify the country of origin of MSU’s international student population.

Share and discuss “MSU ranks in top 10 among U.S. universities for international students, study abroad programs ” on social media.