MSU ski and snowboard groups host 2nd annual Rail Jam Friday

On Friday at the rock on Farm Lane, the Michigan State Alpine Ski and Snowboard Team along with the Spartan Ski Club will be hosting their second annual Rail Jam.

The event will kick off at 2 p.m. with an open jam session, during which anyone can show off their skills on the rails and warm up for the competition.

The freestyle ski and snowboard contest will begin at 5 p.m. It costs $10 to ride, and competitors will get a free t-shirt and a chance to win prizes such as brand new skis or snowboard from Summit Sports.

Computer science junior Michael Suszan, secretary and fundraising chair for the Michigan State Alpine Ski and Snowboard Team, said competitors will get a certain amount of time to do as many tricks as they can.

“The judges watch for the best tricks and look for style and difficulty and originality,” Suszan said.

DJ Grade A and Red Bull will be blasting music all afternoon, and raffle tickets will be available for prizes from Moosejaw, Vail Resorts, Rome Snowboards, Summit Sports and more.

Rail Jam shirts will be sold for $10 each, with all proceeds going to support Challenge Mountain, an organization based in Boyne City that gives those who are mentally and physically challenged the opportunity to participate in outdoor activities such as skiing. 

Suszan said last year’s Rail Jam was originally just a fundraiser.

“Last year went surprisingly well when it all came together, but more than that, we realized it was a neat way to show the school what our clubs and teams are like,” Suszan said.

He said Rail Jam is something that’s fun for members and exciting to be a part of.

“No other clubs get to ski and board right in the middle of campus, and it generates interest in our teams and the sports we are really passionate about,” Suszan said.

Share and discuss “MSU ski and snowboard groups host 2nd annual Rail Jam Friday” on social media.