White prevails in hockey Green and White game, 1-0

<p>Senior goalkeeper Zack Cisek and freshman defender Josh Jacobs try to hold off sophomore forward Villiam Haag on Oct. 5, 2014, at Munn Ice Arena during the Green and White game. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Senior goalkeeper Zack Cisek and freshman defender Josh Jacobs try to hold off sophomore forward Villiam Haag on Oct. 5, 2014, at Munn Ice Arena during the Green and White game. Erin Hampton/The State News

It may have just been a glorified practice, but the Green and White game didn’t end without some excitement.

The men’s hockey team held an intrasquad scrimmage at Munn Ice Arena in advance of its exhibition game on Tuesday against the Windsor. The white team defeated the green team in a shootout, 1-0 after two scoreless periods.

“You saw a few good things,” head coach Tom Anastos said there are still “lots and lots” of areas the Spartans need to improve on before the regular season begins on October 17th against Massachusetts.

Anastos switched roles with the media during the scrimmage. Local media members, including WLNS sports director Fred Heumann, Lansing State Journal columnist Graham Couch and Spartan Nation host Hondo Carpenter did the coaching while Anastos analyzed his team from the press box.

The green and white team combined for 37 shots on goal, none of which sailed into the nets. Sophomore left wing JT Stenglein had the lone score, his goal during the shootout.

“It was good to break up the monotony,” Anastos said. “(The team) had some fun with it.”

Travis Walsh, Ron Boyd, Josh Jacobs, Connor Wood, Tanner Sorenson, Dylan Pavelek, Mackenzie MacEachern, Joel Arseneault, Matt DeBlouw, JT Stenglein, Justin Hoomaian, Matt Berry, Zack Cisek, Alex Fasan, Ed Minney and David Bondra comprised team white.

While Trevor McSween, Ryan Gaffney, Chris Knudson, Rhett Holland, Ryan Keller, Robert Goldi, Brock Krygier, Carson Gatt, Michael Ferrantino, Joe Cox, Daniel Middleton, Brent Darnell, Villiam Haag, Thomas Ebbing, Tyler Maloney, Jake Hildebrand and Nate Phillips made up the green team.

“We had guys spread out all over the place, just to make up two teams,” Anastos said. “When we start to bring that together the team will start to take shape.”

The green team outshot the white team, 20-17. Both teams finished with three penalties apiece.

For the green team, Ferrantino led the way with nine faceoff victories. Sorenson led the white team with seven faceoff wins.

Tuesday’s exhibition game against Windsor will be at Munn Ice Arena at 7 p.m. 

Share and discuss “White prevails in hockey Green and White game, 1-0” on social media.