Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Soft portion of schedule leads to three-game win streak for MSU volleyball

<p>Sophomore outside hitter Chloe Reinig spikes the ball as Nebraska setter Mary Pollmiller and middle blocker Meghan Haggerty attempt to block Oct. 10, 2014, at Jenison Field House. The Cornhuskers defeated the Spartans, 3-1. Aerika Williams/The State News</p>

Sophomore outside hitter Chloe Reinig spikes the ball as Nebraska setter Mary Pollmiller and middle blocker Meghan Haggerty attempt to block Oct. 10, 2014, at Jenison Field House. The Cornhuskers defeated the Spartans, 3-1. Aerika Williams/The State News

The volleyball team has enjoyed some success recently, but they aren’t letting it get to their heads.

“We’re very pleased we won two in a row,” head coach Cathy George said. “We have to continue to improve.”

MSU (12-7 overall, 5-3 Big Ten) is on a three-game win streak and has also won four of its last five games . During the streak, MSU has also not lost a set.

A reprieve from the upper echelon Big Ten competition is also partly responsible for the hot streak.

The Spartans were able to capitalize on a stretch over the past two weeks where they played the three worst teams in the conference: Iowa, Maryland and Rutgers . The three teams are a combined 2-25 in Big Ten play.

There hasn’t been any secret recipe during the win streak except for a heightened attention to detail.

“We’re focusing a lot on managing rallies, just not giving points away,” senior libero and team co-captain Kori Moster said. “That’s been a big focus for us over the last couple of weeks.”

Moster and her team have also done a good job of starting fast and finishing strong. In four out of the six sets MSU played over the weekend, they led from start to finish and didn’t allow Maryland or Rutgers to get any type of momentum.

“We’ve been really focusing on ourselves and what we can do to control the ball,” sophomore middle blocker and opposite hitter Allyssah Fitterer said. “That’s been working for us.”

The Spartans know the rest of the season will not be met with such ease and tougher challenges await them.

“The Big Ten kind of keeps you humble,” Moster said. “You’re going to play a great team no matter wh ... you know you have to bring your A game every single night regardless of who that other team is.”

MSU will need to bring its “A game” this weekend against No. 22 Ohio State (14-6 overall, 5-3 Big Ten) and reigning national champion, No. 10 Penn State (18-3 overall, 6-2 Big Ten).

“We’re excited for the challenge ... we’re excited to go to their home courts and see what we can do,” Moster said.

History is on the Spartans’ side. Last year in late September, MSU played OSU and PSU in back-to-back road games and defeated them 3-2 and 3-0, respectively.

Share and discuss “Soft portion of schedule leads to three-game win streak for MSU volleyball” on social media.