Volleyball will look to move up Big Ten standings against Nebraska and Iowa this weekend

<p>Freshman setter Rachel Minarick spikes the ball Oct. 3, 2014, during a game against the University of Michigan at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 3-1. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Freshman setter Rachel Minarick spikes the ball Oct. 3, 2014, during a game against the University of Michigan at Jenison Fieldhouse. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 3-1. Erin Hampton/The State News

The volleyball team will try and replicate the success the football team had against Nebraska last weekend.

MSU (9-6 overall, 2-2 Big Ten) welcomes No. 8 Nebraska (9-4 overall, 3-1 Big Ten) to Jenison Field House on Friday night for the second game of their three game homestand.

The Cornhuskers lost to Ohio State in five sets last Saturday but did defeat then-ranked No. 3 Penn State 3-1 the night before.

“It’s going to be definitely a test for us,” freshman defensive specialist Abby Monson said. “I’m 100 percent sure that we can do it.”

Nebraska has given MSU trouble over the last couple of seasons, owning a 4-2 record over the Spartans since they joined the conference in 2011.

“Nebraska’s always a powerhouse in the Big Ten,” senior libero and co-captain Kori Moster said.

Moster averages 4.57 digs per set, which is good for third in the Big Ten conference.

Her defensive acumen will come in handy against Nebraska’s sophomore outside hitters Amber and Kadie Rolfzen, who are twins.

Kadie Rolfzen leads the team with 163 kills and a .262 hitting percentage. Amber Rolfzen ranks second, behind her sister, with 99 kills.

On Saturday night, the Spartans will play host to Iowa (8-7 overall, 0-4 Big Ten), who has lost to MSU nine straight times. The Hawkeyes are also on a five match losing streak.

“Iowa has a new coach but a returning cast, he’s changed their system up a little,” Head coach Cathy George said. “They’re running a fast, up-tempo game.”

First year Hawkeyes head coach, Bond Shymansky is not only in search of his first Big Ten conference win of the season but also has yet to win a set in conference play.

Senior outside hitter Alex Lovell is a player to watch for the Hawkeyes. Lovell leads the team with 155 kills and 3.37 kills per set.

First serve will be at 8 p.m. on Friday, the game will air live on the Big Ten Network. Saturday’s game begins at 7 p.m.

Friday’s game at Jenison Field House will be a MSU-Federal Credit Union game, where credit union members get two free tickets for the game against Nebraska.

On Saturday, the Spartans will wear pink jerseys as part of their annual breast cancer awareness game.

Share and discuss “Volleyball will look to move up Big Ten standings against Nebraska and Iowa this weekend” on social media.