Monday, May 13, 2024

Big Ten Championship commemoration brought back 2013 memories for field hockey last Saturday

<p>Senior midfielder Becky Stiles passes the ball during the game against Maryland on Sept. 28, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Terrapins defeated the Spartans, 4-2. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News</p>

Senior midfielder Becky Stiles passes the ball during the game against Maryland on Sept. 28, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Terrapins defeated the Spartans, 4-2. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

Even with the disappointment of two losses last weekend, there were still a few highlights that No. 20 MSU field hockey took away from it. And while the Spartans primary focus is their play, they took some time to enjoy themselves off the field this weekend.

Last weekend was Homecoming for East Lansing, and MSU welcomed its alumni and family out to take in both games and enjoy a fall football Saturday on campus together. It was also a different kind of homecoming for field hockey, as they returned home after playing five games over the course of three weekends in Washington, D.C. and Ohio.

If all those factors weren’t enough to lift the spirits of the Spartans during a tough weekend on the field, the big highlight came Saturday. While it still occurred on a playing field, this setting was in no comparison to Ralph Young Field.

Just across the sidewalk at Spartan Stadium, MSU was recognized at halftime for their Big Ten Tournament championship from last season. In front of a rowdy crowd of 74,227 , the Spartans were able to soak in the environment and recollect on last year’s success.

“They were all like, ‘This is awesome!’” head coach Helen Knull said of the girls’ reactions. “Some 80,000 people (were present), so they really enjoyed that part. I think it just brings back fresh memories from last year, and hopefully it’s a little bit of sense for them knowing that if you have success, you get recognized in other facets, not just on our field.”

With a loss the previous day to Penn State and another the following day against Maryland, this experience could prove as one of the motivating factors for MSU moving forward in the season. With most of the roster being a part of last year's MSU team, they know what it takes to reach that point of success.

Part of it is strategy and schemes, but another is recapturing the mentality of last season. 

While practice is a necessity and talking about it is great, seeing the culmination of all their hard work put on display Saturday at the MSU football game may have given this team the jolt it needed.

“It was kind of cool to reflect back on our season and how successful we were,” senior midfielder Becky Stiles said. “But it was also kind of motivating ... we want to be here next year. We want to be doing the same thing.”

Share and discuss “Big Ten Championship commemoration brought back 2013 memories for field hockey last Saturday” on social media.