Sunday, April 28, 2024

Rowing alumna Emily Regan places second at 2014 World Rowing Championships

Last Friday, MSU Rowing alumna Emily Regan placed second with her three teammates at the 2014 World Rowing Championships, representing the United States in Amsterdam.

Regan graduated from MSU in 2010, where she competed on the women’s crew team, coached by Matt Weise, during her four years of attendance.

Adrienne Martelli (Washington), Tessa Gobbo (Brown) Susan Francia (Pennsylvania) and Regan,  from Princeton, N.J., took the podium behind New Zealand,  taking the silver medal for fours with a time of 6:20:69. The U.S. fell behind by six seconds, where China followed behind U.S. with 6:23:31, claiming bronze.

“We are really proud of her,” Weise said. “We can always point to her success when we are recruiting and building our team. She always kept this long-distance vision with long-term goals.”

After the opening 500, the U.S. was in fourth place, where they struggled to get ahead. Luckily, they were able to pass China and claim second.

“We have really high standards on our team. You always want to win,” Regan told USRowing.com. “Next year, we can hopefully prove we are better. Susan called that (New Zealand) was out in front, but mostly we were trying to keep moving on China and hopefully, that was helping us move into them. But (New Zealand) did a great job and held us. It’s always great to medal, and they had an amazing race. We didn’t exactly come out on the side we wanted to, but you can’t be upset with a medal.”

This was Regan’s first silver in international competition. Most recently, she was part of the U.S. team that received gold medals in under-23 and eights categories in 2013.

Weise confirmed that Regan’s goal is to qualify for the 2016 Olympics being held in Rio.

“It never gets old — it’s a thrill to represent your country,” Regan said in a release.

Share and discuss “Rowing alumna Emily Regan places second at 2014 World Rowing Championships” on social media.