Spartan Spectrum aims to raise autism awareness on campus

Autism is an issue that hits close to home for neuroscience junior Holly Semma. Her 12-year-old brother struggles with the disorder.

When she first arrived at MSU three years ago, she wanted to join an autism awareness organization, but couldn’t find one to join.

The lack of autism awareness clubs inspired Semma to create Spartan Spectrum, MSU’s first student organization devoted to autism.

Semma said she remembers how her little brother would throw temper tantrums and his language abilities suddenly regressed.

“I remember being at T.J. Maxx with my mom, I think we were buying a backpack or something, and he had a temper tantrum where he knocked down all the toys from the shelves and he was kicking and screaming,” she said.

Semma remembers the cashier criticized her brother’s behavior and reprimanded her mother for not disciplining her son. She said reactions like that have brought a lot of shame and guilt to her family.

Human biology junior and Spartan Spectrum e-board member Megan McWilliams said she joined the group because of how prevalent it is in today’s society. She said the aim of the organization is to de-stigmatize autism and make students more aware of the fact that some people think differently.

“You know, it is common and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, and we should celebrate that people think differently,” she said.

Semma said students should care about raising awareness for autism because diagnoses of the disorder are increasingly more common.

“It’s increased from one in 80 to one in 66,” she said. “We’re going to come across someone with autism. It’s important to learn how to interact with someone with autism.”

Faculty advisor Jessica Diener, who works with autistic students on campus, said she loves that Spartan Spectrum is playing an advocate role.

“I believe advocacy is huge in helping people with disabilities,” she said.

This past April, Spartan Spectrum won the award of Emerging Student Organization at the 13th annual Leadership Awards Reception.

Share and discuss “Spartan Spectrum aims to raise autism awareness on campus” on social media.