Monday, May 6, 2024

Peter Briggs retires after 13 years as OISS director

<p>Peter Briggs</p>

Peter Briggs

For 13 years, Director of the Office for International Students and Scholars Peter Briggs has contributed to MSU’s success, but on Friday he will say his farewells as he retires from his position.

With the office devoted to helping international students transition into a new environment, Briggs’ commitment to the OISS has lead to great outcomes for not only the students, but the faculty as well.

“We help about 9,000 students who come to MSU to research or study,” Briggs said. “We are a designated office for Visas, immigrant issues and help compliment issues. We contribute by learning from international students with different cultures.”

With engagement centers, welcoming programs, advising and more events that help international students transition to MSU, the office’s dedication to international students has also mattered to Briggs.

“The OISS team is really dedicated, believes the same things I believe in and wants to transform lives,” Briggs said. “The quality of people here is really, really good.”

Faculty members who have worked with Briggs for years said his work has only improved the office in the long run.

“It’s hard to overstate what he’s contributed,” said Brooke Stokdyk, assistant director of OISS. “He came in one month after Sept. 11 and the government started tracking international students a lot more closely. He really changed the office dramatically.”

Stokdyk also said during his time at MSU, OISS has seen huge improvements overall with international students.

“There has been a dramatic period of growth when he was hired,” Stokdyk said. “It’s incredible the amount of growth with international students that’s occurred. He’s guided us through the most changes in the office.”

During Briggs’ career at MSU, the international population has grown substantially. Undergraduate student enrollment from China increased from 44 students in 2004 to almost 3,500 students last year.

Now that Briggs’ position is vacant, Assistant Director of the OISS Chris Bargerstock said interviews will begin right away.

“I will currently take on the position until they hire someone,” Bargerstock said.

After working with Briggs for the total 13 years he’s been at MSU, Bargerstock said his leadership is what is most compelling.

“I think his student-friendly philosophy that has been in tune is most beneficial,” Bargerstock said. “Peter came in 2001, and our field changed dramatically. It was a welcoming to strict environment but still, he was friendly to students providing a place away from home.”

With gratitude, Briggs said working with students from all over the world has shaped his career at MSU.

“The variety and people are wonderful,” Briggs said. “People from all over the world inspire me. I know people from all over the world and enjoyed connecting with them.”

As for plans after retirement, Briggs said he’s most looking forward to spending time with his family.

“I need to be home with my family in the Pacific Northwest,” Briggs said. “I care a lot about MSU, the campus, and I’m sure there will be tears on Friday.”

Share and discuss “Peter Briggs retires after 13 years as OISS director” on social media.