2014 football ticket sales surpass 60,000, ranking amongst the highest numbers in MSU history

<p>The student section holds up &#8220;Go Pink&#8221; signs during the game against Indiana, Oct. 12, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The signs were passed out upon entry to the stadium in support of breast cancer awareness month. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

The student section holds up “Go Pink” signs during the game against Indiana, Oct. 12, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The signs were passed out upon entry to the stadium in support of breast cancer awareness month. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

After the Spartans won the 2014 Rose Bowl title, more fans are spending their weekends at Spartan Stadium. Football ticket sales for 2014 are among the highest in MSU history, racking in more than 60,000 this season.

“We’ve had strong support under Coach Dantonio since he has been here, but this has been a good year,” Paul Schager, MSU associate athletics director, said. “There is always an up-kick after you have successful seasons. Last year was the most successful year in our history, so the interest is strong and the service numbers reflect that.”

This season marks only the seventh time that MSU has issued over 60,000 season tickets. About 14,000 of these tickets are held for students, which tend to sell out every year. Spartan Stadium holds a max capacity of 75,005 people, so the extra sports left are for individual game purchases.

“The demand for individual game tickets is extremely high,” Schager said.

Prices for individual tickets sales start at $50, which places attendees at section L (along the north and south end zones) and section U (upper sideline). Depending on the game, individual tickets can cost up to over $5,000, for the game against Michigan, on resell websites such as Stubhub.com

Fans may buy tickets because they jumped on the Spartan bandwagon or because it is time out of the house—whatever the reason, it is what makes MSU football different than other university game experiences that draws fans in.

“Everything about Michigan State is unique. It’s the college football at Michigan State is different than anywhere else in the world,” Schager said. “We think that we have the full package—the complete day from the beautiful campus to the opportunities to tailgate with friends and family, going to the games, the band, cheerleaders, then ultimately the game and the football program.”

Share and discuss “2014 football ticket sales surpass 60,000, ranking amongst the highest numbers in MSU history” on social media.