Following encouraging Jeff Drenth Memorial meet, cross country gears up for Oregon

Last Friday, MSU’s cross country team traveled to Mount Pleasant to run in the Jeff Drenth Memorial meet.

Head Coach Walt Drenth began putting this meet together after his brother, Jeff, passed away due to heart failure in 1986. Jeff graduated in 1983 from Central Michigan, where he ran at an international level. This year marked the 29th annual Jeff Drenth meet, which took place right off CMU’s campus at Pleasant Hills Golf Course. This dual meet had no recorded team scoring.

"For a lot of our runners, today was their debut race wearing a Michigan State uniform and that's always exciting," said MSU assistant coach Lisa Senakiewich. “For the group that competed, everyone was on task and understanding what we were going for.”

Three women and five men placed top ten.

Freshman Aubrey Wilberding followed behind CMU’s Ester Bell to get the second place spot, with a time of 18:51.2. Redshirt freshman Emily Pap (7th place), sophomore Jaclyn Magness (9th), redshirt freshman Allison McGinn (11th), Maddie Fisher (12th) and freshman Emily Gibbings (13th).

The men impacted the meet by taking first, second, third and fourth place. Sophomore Nick Moon led the pack with a time of 15:06.70, a new personal best. Following Moon was redshirt junior Drake Veitenheimer in second place (15:09.50), redshirt sophomore Andrew Cusmano in third (15:11.40) and redshirt sophomore Ryan Beyea in fourth (15:11.60).

“We could tell that that group of guys really went to work this summer and came in this season with goals in mind and really trying to attack them,” Senakiewich said. “[Goals] primarily being making our travel roster. That motivation is huge.”

Freshman Alex Whitmer ran 15:29.70 placing seventh, redshirt Junior Ryan Konen with a time of 15:59.10 making twelfth place, and redshirt sophomore Eric Buday 16:15.90 in 16th place.

“[This meet] gives them a chance to get their feet wet,” Senakiewich said. “They will get better from here. It sets the tone for the season. They demonstrated that during the races. I think that that type of mentality will carry through”

Cross Country left campus Wednesday to head to Oregon for their first Big-Ten Conference meet. The Bill Dellinger Invitational will take place on Friday, September 5, 8:45 p.m. ET.

“Expectations are always the same—do your best and be there for one another and have a good experience and have fun,” Senakiewich said. “Whenever we do those things, success if bound to happen.”

Share and discuss “Following encouraging Jeff Drenth Memorial meet, cross country gears up for Oregon” on social media.