Field hockey will take on Kent State and Richmond in Ohio this weekend

<p>Redshirt freshman back Simone Vagnoni passes the ball during a game against the University of Maine Aug. 31, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Black Bears, 5-4 in overtime. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News </p>

Redshirt freshman back Simone Vagnoni passes the ball during a game against the University of Maine Aug. 31, 2014, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Black Bears, 5-4 in overtime. Jessalyn Tamez/The State News

As the weather starts to cool in Michigan, MSU field hockey (2-2 overall) is looking to heat up.

With several competitive games going down to the wire this season, the Spartans could find the opportunity to make a statement as they prepare for a road trip.

This weekend, MSU will get another shot to improve on their record as they head to Ohio to play Kent State and Richmond.

For the first time this season, MSU will have a chance to play two unranked opponents in a row.

Though competition has been stiff, head coach Helen Knull knows that the only thing her team can do is focus on what they can control.

“We’ve got to just work on staying calm no matter what’s happening in the game,” Knull said. “Whether it’s ninety-four degrees or eighty degrees. Whether the refs are great or the refs are bad. We call them control the controllables. We’ve got to control ourselves and we have to get back to that this week.

“Everyone’s excited, excited for two more games this weekend. We know we’re right there, it’s just putting each piece together every game.”

The Spartans were tested in that aspect last weekend in Washington D.C. When weather reached the mid-nineties on Saturday, MSU was able to focus on the game plan and play a season high nineteen players to get the win.

On Sunday, the team found themselves on the wrong side of a couple calls and received a green and yellow card before losing in double overtime. Both scenarios were new challenges for this year’s Spartans, but they handled the adversity fairly well and nearly came away with two wins.

Being able to overcome new obstacles that arise this season could be the difference between passable and exceptional, according to Knull.

“We realize how important it is to win every single game,” senior captain Heather Howie said. “Whether it’s Big Ten conference, non-conference, region or whatever. Every game means the same to us.

“Getting the team to push as hard as we can in practice will really help us for the games because we want to practice how we play.”

It is a common response from this team, and it speaks to Knull’s weekly messages to her team.

Even sophomore goalkeeper Sierra Patton knows the importance of keeping things simple and focusing on the fundamentals. Patton had a productive weekend with 11 combined saves against American and Saint Joseph’s.

“It’s just focusing on the small things,” Patton said. “Focusing on the details, making sure I’m where I need to be and everybody else is too.”

The Spartans will take on Kent State on Saturday at noon. On Sunday, MSU will take on Richmond at noon. Both games will take place at Kent State’s campus in Kent, Ohio.

Share and discuss “Field hockey will take on Kent State and Richmond in Ohio this weekend” on social media.