Stephen King's 'Carrie' basis for musical coming to Wharton Center

Bullying is about to become center stage.

MSU will welcome New York City native Joe Barros as the guest director for the production of Carrie the Musical, coming to the Pasant Theatre at Wharton Center from October 10 through October 19.

Barros said he wanted to incorporate the themes of bullying by use of technology, so the production features prominent use of technological advances, such as the use of cell phones throughout the performance. The audience will be able to publicly tweet things about Carrie before curtain and elect to receive texts, pictures, and hashtags throughout the show.

Barros is a part of the Guest Artist Initiative Program through the Stage Directors and Choreographers Foundation, which enables MSU to hire professional directors to be in control of theatrical productions at universities and colleges across the country.

Based off of Stephen King’s classic terrifying tale, Carrie tells the story of an awkward teenage girl whose lonely life is controlled by her religious fanatic mother. Finally having reached the breaking point with the bullying, she wreaks havoc on her school prom with her telekinetic powers.

Though the actual novel is based more on the horror of the blood curdling final scene, the musical focuses much more strongly on the effects of bullying.

Tickets are on sale now for $15 for students and $20 for general admission.

Share and discuss “Stephen King's 'Carrie' basis for musical coming to Wharton Center” on social media.