Saturday, May 4, 2024

MSU 2014-15 basketball schedule announced on Thursday

The men’s basketball schedule was officially released on Thursday, and players and spectators can expect an entertaining season this winter.

The Spartans will play their first games at the Breslin Center on November 3 and 4, during an exhibition games against The Master’s College and St. Cloud State.

November 14 will kick off their non-conference schedule when they play at Navy, during the “Veterans Classic at the Naval Academy,” followed by an away Duke game four days later for the Champions Classic.

In a statement released by MSU athletics, Head Coach Tom Izzo stated the “opening the season at Navy provides one of those unique memory makers that have become a staple of our schedule.”

The Spartans play away for the month of November, minus the two exhibition games, Loyola (Nov. 21) and Santa Clara to kick-off MSU’s Orlando Classic match-ups (Nov. 24). 

The remainder of the Classic will take place in Kissimmee, Florida on November 27, 28, and 30, where we will take on Rider, Georgia Tech, Marquette, Kansas, Rhode Island, Santa Clara and Tennessee.

Throughout the season, MSU will host Big Ten teams Maryland (Dec. 30), Indiana (Jan. 5), Northwestern (Jan. 11), Penn State (Jan. 21), Michigan (Feb. 1), Illinois (Feb. 7), Ohio State (Feb. 14), Minnesota (Feb. 26) and Purdue (March 4), with away games against Iowa (Jan. 8), Nebraska (Jan. 24), Rutgers (Jan. 27) and Wisconsin (March 1). MSU will play Maryland (Jan. 17), Northwestern (Feb. 10), Michigan (Feb. 17), Illinois (Feb. 22) and Indiana (March 7) away to wrap up conference games.

“I expect the Big Ten to be a very competitive and balanced conference, with virtually every team having legitimate postseason hopes,” Izzo said.

On December 3, the Spartans play Notre Dame for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge in Indiana. Arkansas-Pine Bluff (Dec. 6), Oakland (Dec. 14), Eastern Michigan (Dec. 17), Texas Southern (Dec. 20), The Citadel (Dec. 22) will visit Breslin center for non-conference games.

Post-season tournaments will begin with the Big Ten Tournament from March 11-15 in Chicago, Illinois. March Madness follows with first round starting March 17, and the Final Four will be held on April 4 and 6 in Indianapolis.

“We’ve had a great summer as a team, and I’m excited about coaching this group of dedicated and hard-working young men this upcoming season,” Izzo said. 

Share and discuss “MSU 2014-15 basketball schedule announced on Thursday” on social media.