In season opener, field hockey falls to Duke in overtime, 2-1

MSU kicked off its regular season slate at home on Friday afternoon, falling to the No. 4 ranked Duke Blue Devils in overtime, 2-1.

Trying to set the pace early, the Spartans generated a solid attack against Duke goalkeeper Lauren Blazing. After being afforded three consecutive penalty corners, MSU sophomore midfielder Alli Helwig finally put one in the back of the net.

After a brief celebration, the referee declared the shot too high and the goal was nullified. Moments later, the Blue Devils were awarded a penalty corner and were able to capitalize off a redirection from inside the circle. The goal was awarded to Ainsley Gill of Duke, as sophomore goalkeeper Sierra Patton couldn’t react in time to the shot.

That score held until halftime as both teams tended to play stout defense and weren’t afforded many opportunities. Blazing did manage to stop all five of the Spartans shots on net and Patton saved the only other shot on net that Duke registered.

The game picked up more of a physical tone starting in the second half, with both teams fighting hard to maintain possession. Just over five minutes into the second half, Duke generated a quality scoring opportunity, but the shot bounced off the post before MSU’s defense was able to clear the rebound.

MSU continued to get shots toward the net and force Blazing to make save after save. After back-to-back penalty corners were denied with less than six minutes remaining in the game, the Spartans desperation could be seen and the seniors rose to the occasion.

The game seemed all but over after another MSU penalty corner was denied with just under a minute remaining. After a quick turnover just outside the circle, MSU senior forward Abby Barker fired a shot and scored to send the game to overtime with only 7.6 seconds remaining.

In the first overtime period, Patton came up huge for the Spartans making save after save to keep her team alive in the contest. With the Blue Devils putting all the pressure on, Patton did all she could until a Duke player broke in on the net alone with only seconds remaining.

Blue Devil defender Alexa Mackintire spun past a diving Patton and slid the game-winning goal into the net with only 1.3 seconds remaining in the first overtime. After leading Duke in shots 14-10 in the first two halves, MSU was outshot 8-1 in overtime and couldn’t get a chance to regroup for a second overtime.

Barker led all Spartans with five shots and the tying goal, and senior midfielder Heather Howie was icing her shoulder as a result of the physical gameplay. The field hockey team doesn’t have to wait long to put this emotional game behind them, as a Sunday morning meeting with Maine is waiting right around the corner.

Share and discuss “In season opener, field hockey falls to Duke in overtime, 2-1” on social media.