Tuesday, March 19, 2024

East Lansing City Council considering meter service in cabs, stricter cab regulations

The East Lansing City Council is considering stricter regulations for taxi and ride-sharing services.   

At the council's meeting Tuesday night, they also discussed implementing a meter service inside taxi cars.

The meter would be similar to what is included in cabs in larger cities – a total cab fare is determined by how far the car travels and how long during one trip.

East Lansing Mayor Nathan Triplett said the choice of what qualifies as a meter would be left up to the taxi authority.

“We want to require that technology be in our cabs but also leave it up to the authority so that they can figure out what are the list of appropriate options,” Triplett said.

Owner of iCab Taxi Service Valentino Hernandez said his company charges students $3 a person as a flat rate and foresees the meter taking away the ability to make cab rides more affordable.

Ride-sharing services would not be included in the installation of meters if it were to go into effect as Triplett said the two are different forms of transportation.

The council also discussed stricter cab regulations in light of Uber, a new ride-sharing service currently running in Lansing and East Lansing, which allows drivers and riders to connect through a smartphone application.

But Uber does not require drivers to have their cars marked or obtain an appropriate chauffeur's license.

Anyone could potentially become an Uber driver, which raises concerns among cab service owners.

Owner of Clark’s Cab LLC John Clark said he has read cease and desist documents against Uber and other cities no longer allow the company to operate.

“They’re brought in with open arms here, and that’s a slap in the face to (other cab driving companies),” Clark said.

Uber currently does not meet and comply with standards the Michigan Department of Transportation, or MDOT, which taxicab company owners and drivers are required to follow in order to operate.

Hernandez said he hopes the council will see Uber is using the ride-sharing name to overstep boundaries which MDOT has put in place.

“The regulation has to change,” Hernandez said. “I don’t mind competition but when it comes to competition that is actually skirting the law, that’s where I draw the line.”

Triplett said astringent regulations are being discussed in addition to pursuing the continued use of Uber in the area.

“If these documents are ultimately approved by both Lansing and East Lansing and the authority is created, that would be the final stage in us here in this region authorizing these ride-sharing services to operate permanently,” Triplett said.

While the regulations and meter idea are in discussion, Triplett said further action will follow the discussion the Lansing City Council has.

Share and discuss “East Lansing City Council considering meter service in cabs, stricter cab regulations” on social media.