Lansing park plays host to BMX state qualifiers

Lansing park played host to the BMX state qualifiers on Sunday

Capitol Area BMX, a non-profit organization through USA BMX, hosted the event for participants of all ages.

Older professionals and children as young as 3 years old competed on the track for a chance to qualify to go to the state championship.

Capitol Area BMX treasurer Dawn Bartlett said in order to qualify for the championship or be state champ, the rider has to participate in four qualifiers.

The top scores are taken from each race to determine who the state champion is.

Bartlett said she enjoys volunteering for Capitol Area BMX because she gets to watch her children and other racers grow up at the track.

“My favorite part (about volunteering) is ... watching the racers from when they first start and as they advance and get new skills,” Bartlett said.

People from all over the state came to race or brought their children to race, but East Lansing resident and MSU Office of Admissions Assistant Director Mike Kolar said people at the track act like old friends.

“You see the same families here every Thursday at practice and every Sunday, and everybody gets to know each other, everybody is very supportive,” Kolar said. “Everybody is more concerned with everyone having fun than being competitive.”

Kolar brought his children out to race. His daughter, 13-year-old Carolyn Kolar, was among the few girls racing.

Carolyn Kolar said she recently started participating in races because she saw her dad and brother do it and thought it looked fun.

“It is a masculine kind of sport, but it’s fun for me to do because I feel independent and I can do pretty much anything if I put my mind to it,” Carolyn Kolar said.

Mike Kolar said Carolyn Kolar is sponsored by Tuff Gurlz, created by national champion and former Lansing resident Debbie Kalsow who wants to get more girls involved in the sport.

“It’s been a big boost for Carolyn just to have someone that she can talk to and who has been there before,” Mike Kolar said.

Track Operator and Director Nathan Ely said the environment around the track is welcoming and that BMX is more than just a sport.

“It’s like everyone around is like a family,” Ely said.

In addition to managing the track, Ely races in the 19-to-27-year-old expert class. He said he has raced in competitions across the country.

Share and discuss “Lansing park plays host to BMX state qualifiers” on social media.