Sigma Chi MSU chapter house undergoes $1 million plus remodel

The MSU chapter Sigma Chi fraternity house is currently undergoing a remodel estimated to come with a price tag of more than $1 million, and includes new plumbing, electrical wiring, air conditioning installation and other updates to ensure the house is up to city code in East Lansing.

Sigma Chi Chapter Advisor Rich Nemesi said the remodel will completely strip the interior and exterior of the house and could not have happened without donations from Sigma Chi alumni.

“It was decided (to remodel the house) a couple years ago,” Nemesi said. “We were coming up on the 50th anniversary of the house, it was built in 1963, and we started talking about the fundraising and all that type of stuff, and figured if we remodeled it right, it would be able to go the next 50 years.”

Media and information junior and current Sigma Chi Vice President John Bach said he is excited for the recruitment possibilities with the new house, but was overwhelmed by, and proud of, the outpour of alumni support for the remodel.

“Most of the funding for the project has come from alumni, and it’s so great to see alumni still excited about Sigma Chi,” he said.

The house has another 12 months of construction scheduled, but members will be able to live in the house this coming fall.

Along with the house remodel, Nemesi said the fraternity has increased efforts to attract more well-rounded members.

“The house has improved tremendously, we are top of the pack, top philanthropy, and we feel like the character of the students is worthy of a new house,” Nemesi said. “When the alumni started talking about this, members ... allowed us to continue (with renovations and fundraising).”

Economics senior Blair Montgomery was president of the Sigma Chi MSU chapter during the time fundraising and planning for the remodel took place.

He said the newly remodeled house will be a bonus for younger members and could be used as a recruiting tool.

“I’m not trying to put any other fraternities down, but once the (Sigma Chi) house is redone it’s going to be one of the nicest houses on campus,” he said. “I think the house can definitely be used as a recruitment tool, it’s going to have a lot of cool new stuff and definitely be appealing to potential new members.”

The Sigma Chi house is slated to be completely redone on the inside and out by sometime next summer.

“It’s a great time to be an active (member) at Sigma Chi right now and giving Greek life a great name,” Montgomery said.

Share and discuss “Sigma Chi MSU chapter house undergoes $1 million plus remodel” on social media.