City, MSU safety officials prepare for Fourth of July

The Fourth of July is like any other summer holiday at MSU in that East Lansing is not the most popular place to be.

“We’ve probably lost at least 40,000 students so that tends to quiet things down,” East Lansing Police Department Captain Jeff Murphy said.

Even though things around MSU are expected to be fairly quiet, Murphy said the department will still keep an eye out for a few things, including drunk driving, disorderly conduct and loud parties.

“There will (probably) be several drunk drivers arrested,” Murphy said.

Murphy said there will be normal staffing in East Lansing Friday night.

“The Fourth of July is nothing for us compared to some of the other times in East Lansing like Welcome Week, football games and St. Patrick’s Day,” he said.

As for the MSU Police Department, Sergeant Florene McGlothian-Taylor said the department will also enforce the city ordinance and keep an eye out for drunk drivers.

“We will have additional people on this weekend,” McGlothian-Taylor said. “We’ll be making certain that the roads are safe.”

McGlothian-Taylor advises those who plan to consume alcohol Friday night to make sure to drink where it is safe.

While East Lansing is expected to be uneventful, the residents who do choose to stick around can head downtown at 10 p.m. to the Adado Riverfront Park for the fireworks show.

Although fireworks will be displayed in the park, Lansing Parks and Recreation Director Brett Kaschinske said the general public is not allowed to set off fireworks of their own at the park.

While East Lansing and MSU police departments will be keeping a close eye on the East Lansing area, Kaschinske said the Lansing Police Department will be in charge of security at the fireworks show.

Share and discuss “City, MSU safety officials prepare for Fourth of July” on social media.