MSU basketball will open season Nov. 14 against Navy

A day before MSU football takes on Maryland in College Park, Md., the MSU men's basketball team will kick off an annual showcase in the Old Line State. 

On Monday, MSU announced the Spartan men's basketball team will open the 2014-15 season at the Naval Academy on Friday, Nov. 14. The Spartans will participate in the inaugural "Veterans Classic at the Naval Academy."

The Veterans Classic will feature a doubleheader in honor of Veteran's Day. Tennessee and VCU will play the first game of the doubleheader. MSU and Navy will follow at 9 p.m.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to play in some amazing venues and be part of some great events, but the one thing I’ve always felt was missing was the chance to play at one of our service academies,” said MSU coach Tom Izzo in a press release.

“We are honored to take part in an event honoring our veterans, and to be playing at a place that has produced some of our country’s great leaders. And for me, I’m glad to have another opportunity to coach against my friend Ed DeChellis, a coach for whom I have the utmost respect.”

CBS Network will provide coverage for the showcase. 

Michigan State is ranked No. 18 in the ESPN Preseason Top 25 (April 28). They will return junior guard Branden Dawson, who was awarded the 2014 Big Ten Tournament Most Outstanding Player, and several key players — sophomore forward Matt Costello, junior guard Travis Trice and sophomore guard Denzel Valentine. 

The Spartans finished the regular season with a 29-9 record, won the 2014 Big Ten Title and fell in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament. The Navy ended their season with a 9-21 record last season. 

Share and discuss “MSU basketball will open season Nov. 14 against Navy” on social media.