Manager: Crunchy's wasn't robbed despite MSU alerts

MSU police sent out an alert early Sunday morning to warn students of an armed robbery that occurred at Crunchy's on Hillcrest Avenue and Grand River Avenue. 

Despite the alert, Crunchy's manager Mike Krueger said nothing out of the ordinary happened around 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning when the alert was sent out. Krueger said Crunchy's itself was not robbed, and no one heard or saw any signs of a robbery outside. 

"Crunchy's wasn't robbed, but I can't speak to what happened outside or out back (of Crunchy's)," Krueger said. "I'm not sure how this rumor got started, but it sure is a pain in the butt." 

MSU Spokesman Jason Cody said MSU police were not involved since the incident happened off-campus, but after hearing about the incident from East Lansing police, MSU police wanted to ensure student safety. They issued a secure in place warning and sent out a series of three alerts, describing the suspect as a black male wearing a black T-shirt, khakis and a ball cap. 

East Lansing police Cptn. Jeff Murphy said the incident took place on the sidewalk at Hillcrest Avenue and Grand River Avenue, not inside Crunchy’s. 

The victim was approached from behind by a black male wearing a hat and carrying a black handgun around 12:40 a.m. The suspect, who remains unidentified, took a small amount of money and left the scene on foot. A police dog was able to track the suspect for a short distance, but lost the trail a block south from where the incident took place, according to Murphy.   

Cops and Courts reporter Katie Krall contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Manager: Crunchy's wasn't robbed despite MSU alerts” on social media.