MSU hosts fair for student-parents, children

<p>Lansing resident Charles Klaiss, 1, reaches for his mother's, Kayitlyn, balloon hat April 19, 2014, at the Breslin Center. Kayitlyn was there with her children to enjoy the Breslin Takeover Carnival and Resource Fair, which included laser tag and a petting zoo. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Lansing resident Charles Klaiss, 1, reaches for his mother's, Kayitlyn, balloon hat April 19, 2014, at the Breslin Center. Kayitlyn was there with her children to enjoy the Breslin Takeover Carnival and Resource Fair, which included laser tag and a petting zoo. Julia Nagy/The State News

When Jasmine Brown-Moreland had her daughter Kennedy three years ago, her whole world changed.

Brown-Moreland became a mother during her sophomore year at MSU and went from only worrying about grades to finding childcare, buying diapers and trying to be a good mom amid the stress of college.

Now a political theory and constitutional democracy senior, Brown-Moreland said finding resources has been one of her biggest struggles as a student-parent.

“The most difficult part is figuring out how to balance school and be a good mom and student and find time to do homework,” she said. “I’m lucky my daughter loves the library.”

Aiding student-parents in finding daycares, summer camps and other activities for their children was one of the main goals of the Student Parents on a Mission 2014 Breslin Takeover III Carnival and Resource Fair that took place Saturday at Breslin Center.

The event was designed to raise awareness of student-parents, MSU Family Resource Center Coordinator and event organizer Lori Strom said.

“We really want to inspire current students, because it can be so overwhelming,” Strom said. “Some days they wonder how they’re going to make it.”

Strom said all proceeds from the carnival will go toward a scholarship to help a student-parent.

The carnival featured activities for children, including bounce houses, karaoke, a petting zoo, clowns and an MSU police K-9 officer with his dog, Wolf.

MSU police Lt. Randy Holton, who was at the event with the K-9 unit, said it was important for the MSU Police Department to be involved in teaching children and student-parents about child safety, such as car seat safety and how to use child identification kits.

“It’s a way for them to get to know the police and see us in a good light,” he said. “We’re also handing out junior badge stickers and good information for parents, but it’s a good environment for the children to get to know us in a fun and friendly way.”

Hundreds of people crowded Breslin Center during the carnival, including natural resource recreation and tourism senior Monique Jenkins, who brought her 15-month-old son, Cameron.

She said she cherished the time she spent with her son.

“During the week I’m studying all the time and it’s hard to find anything fun for him to do except watching TV,” she said. This was nice, convenient and it was cheap.”

While in class, Jenkins said she often leaves her son with her mother, since daycare is hard to find.

“We’re focusing so much on going to school to better ourselves, to get a higher education so we can make a better world for the kids,” Jenkins said.

Share and discuss “MSU hosts fair for student-parents, children ” on social media.