Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Experts discuss risk of cold temperatures on student health

As historic sub-zero wind chills have East Lansing residents shivering, experts have their own advice to help students navigate the deep freeze.

National Weather Service meteorologist Andy Horvitz said although every winter might bring a wind chill warning, this week’s storm is distinct because of its frigid magnitude.

“This event is quite intense compared to those seen in the last several years — parts of (Eastern U.S.) will face the worst chill in 20 years,” Horvitz said. “The intensity of this is what we need everyone to take seriously.”

Horvitz said extreme cold requires caution and preparedness from people of all ages.

“When we put out these warnings we are (concerned with) the general population,” he said.

There are two main risks introduced by exposure to extreme cold to be aware of, risks responsible for about 1,300 deaths a year, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention representative said.

Overexposure can cause the body to lose more heat than it can generate, potentially inducing hypothermia and frostbite, said Rebecca Noe, an epidemiologist at CDC’s National Center for Environmental Health.

Symptoms of hypothermia include disorientation, shivering, confusion, drowsiness and exhaustion, Noe said. Frostbite affects susceptible areas of skin, typically fingers, toes, ear lobes and the tip of the nose, and it is characterized by loss of feeling and a pale appearance.

Noe recommended a buddy system when traveling or participating in activities outside, as hypothermia symptoms are easier detected by others.

Advertising freshman Cara Jaeger said she maintains positive thinking in the cold, which at times can cause her face to break out in hives.

“When everyone said it was really cold I just pretended like they were lying,” Jaeger said. “I just keep thinking: ‘I’ll be home soon, just keep walking, I’ll be there eventually.’”

Share and discuss “Experts discuss risk of cold temperatures on student health ” on social media.