Monday, September 23, 2024

BWL to host forums on local outages

The Lansing Board of Water and Light, or BWL, will host community forums to discuss the aftermath of a December ice storm that left about 34,800 people without power in the Lansing area.

Some residents went without power from Dec. 23 into the new year. East Lansing city officials discussed BWL and their response to the ice storm during the last city council meeting.

East Lansing City Councilmember Ruth Beier said in a previous interview with The State News that East Lansing hasn’t made a decision about the future of BWL and the city, but said Michigan law requires both the city and company to come to an agreement if East Lansing were to change providers.

The forums will be held throughout a three-day period. The meeting discussing East Lansing and Meridian Township will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbot Road.

At 7 p.m. on Thursday, the forum will focus on the reaction in Delta Township and Lansing Township in the Delta Township administration building, 7710 W. Saginaw Highway.

The forums will conclude on Friday when BWL looks at the outages in Lansing at the REO Town Depot at 1201 S. Washington Avenue.

BWL is under fire because of the slow response to the outages due in part to BWL’s general manager J. Peter Lark not being in the Lansing area. Lark was on a family vacation in New York City, according to a statement from the company.

Share and discuss “BWL to host forums on local outages” on social media.